FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Abcabc
VFT 1.jpg
VFT 1.jpg (83.6 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
VFT 2.jpg
VFT 2.jpg (62.27 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
By jht-union
it looks to me like a low giant, who was the seller, if you can try to contact the seller, he might give you the info, if it didn't come with label or anything, it is probably a typical, but this one, it looks way to big to be a typical and it grows prosprate(low-lying growth) is that how is called?
this is a low giant:( it looks like yours)
By dantt99
I think it's a low giant! Like jht said, try and contact the seller, they will know most! :)
By dantt99
Wow, I reallly messed up! You should not label it anything unless you're 100 % sure it is genetically related to the mother plant "Low Giant". That's why you should contact the selller and ask what they know it was, or if it's just typical. Never falsely tag a plant :)
By bananaman
dantt99 wrote:Wow, I reallly messed up! You should not label it anything unless you're 100 % sure it is genetically related to the mother plant "Low Giant". That's why you should contact the selller and ask what they know it was, or if it's just typical. Never falsely tag a plant :)

I agree with dantt99.

Just call it a typical.
By Abcabc
I bought it at Botanical Garden during Penang Floral Fest so I don't know anything about the seller. :roll:
But it's ok :D
By Grey
Matt wrote:Looks like a Venus fly trap to me :D
:lol:

If in doubt, give it your own name! Plants grown from seed are genetically unique (like humans) and so they can't really be placed under an already existing variety name (unless they're a hybrid/cross-breed and you know what variety both parents are), whereas plants taken via divisions and leaf pullings are genetically identical to the mother plant and so are named as appropriate.

As it was from a botanical garden (and they tend to know what they're doing), it might not just be a typical. If you really are desperate to know what variety it may be (if not grown from seed) and remember the date of purchase (or have a receipt), you could contact the garden and ask them about it. Tell them the date of purchase, how much it was and if you bought the plant at an event, let them know which one. You may find they can tell you who cultivated the plant.

If worst comes to worst you can always name it "Dionaea Musciupla Not-A-Clue-A"... or George. Whatever you prefer. It's a beautiful plant anyway!
Grey liked this
By victor
well it's venus flytrap for fact! :lol:
N. Albomarginata red SG

He gets direct morning sun until noon/1pmish then […]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!