FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jagasian
Alakai swamp in Hawaii has a true ombrotrophic bog in the center of it, where grows a native subspecies of Drosera anglica called the “mikinalo” in Hawaiian. This subspecies differs from the typical Drosera anglica species because it does not need a winter dormancy and grows year round. It also more aggressively flowers and seeds.

This specimen grew from a small mikinalo taken from Alakai bog and the moss is a species of Hypnaceae that grew from a grape-size clump of moss that the original specimen was growing in at the bog. This moss aggressively sexually reproduces growing many spore stalks.

Both mikinalo and moss grow well indoors under artificial light that is on for 16 hours a day when fed blood worms.

So far, I’ve cut 13 flower stalks, along with their seed pods. I sprinkle the seeds ontop of the moss. The plants around the edges grew from the first seed pod. Zoom in to see hundreds of tiny seedling sized mikinalos that are growing all over the moss.
Attachments:
A75C78A2-928F-4CCD-9A30-BB172B26732F.jpeg
A75C78A2-928F-4CCD-9A30-BB172B26732F.jpeg (859.86 KiB) Viewed 6302 times
MikeB liked this
By Fly Trap Hunter
Jagasian wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:12 pm Alakai swamp in Hawaii has a true ombrotrophic bog in the center of it, where grows a native subspecies of Drosera anglica called the “mikinalo” in Hawaiian. This subspecies differs from the typical Drosera anglica species because it does not need a winter dormancy and grows year round.
I have the drosera x southern cross, which is d. Anglica x d tracyi. I really like the plant and it looks just like that d. Anglica. But it definitely goes dormant in November and has barely started back.
Maybe you can donate some seeds to the seed bank. Or maybe sell a division along the way. :)
By Jagasian
I will start giving seeds away for the cost of shipping and handling only, but I want to wait another 6 months. My goal is to recreate a miniature Alakai bog in this clear glass cylinder vase. That means not disturbing the plant or moss so that it can continue to thrive. I will also continue dumping the seeds onto the moss.

The Alakai bog is covered with thousands and thousands of mikinalos.
By Jagasian
Update: it is seeding its babies all around. Main plant is bushy, and live moss substrate keeps expanding like a muffin top.
Attachments:
AE2DCCBE-8280-424B-AFE9-4710BD74B02D.jpeg
AE2DCCBE-8280-424B-AFE9-4710BD74B02D.jpeg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 4872 times
By Cross
Jagasian wrote:I will start giving seeds away for the cost of shipping and handling only, but I want to wait another 6 months. My goal is to recreate a miniature Alakai bog in this clear glass cylinder vase. That means not disturbing the plant or moss so that it can continue to thrive. I will also continue dumping the seeds onto the moss.

The Alakai bog is covered with thousands and thousands of mikinalos.
Please keep me in mind when you do. They're beautiful.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

By Adriana
What a beautiful plant! I'm surprised you were able to get a permit to collect the mother plant & moss since it's a wilderness preserve. Was this part of an academic study?
By PalmettoLand
I am a little late to the show, but do you still have any seeds that you would be willing to share?
The pictures of the mini bog look absolutely awesome. (I would love to get some of the moss as well if possible.)
By ChefDean
I moved them to Tier 2, like, a bunch of days ago. Like, tens of days ago because we've had them a couple times before.
Now Mr. P. Land only has three months before he's eligible to request them.
PalmettoLand liked this
By thepitchergrower
ChefDean wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:49 pm I moved them to Tier 2, like, a bunch of days ago. Like, tens of days ago because we've had them a couple times before.
Now Mr. P. Land only has three months before he's eligible to request them.
Motivation to grow their post count!
PalmettoLand liked this
By PalmettoLand
Thank you all for the update.
I'm glad to be here and will hopefully add to the discussions about our wonderful little plants.
Regarding the seeds from the seed bank ... I will have seeds (from somewhere) before that 3 month mark. Thank you for all your help.
Fishing

I'll list them then and let you all see what you m[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!