FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By TampaTraps
boarderlib wrote:
TampaTraps wrote: Cool, just bought some RED seeds... Too bad the fused-tooths were out of stock, those look awesome!

How do seeds work btw, are they guaranteed to get the same plant the seed came from or is it always something different?
Seeds are pretty much a genetic crap shoot. For example the reds are much more likely to provide red plants. The plants grown from seed should always be labeled as 'typical'. All cultivars came from seed at some point though, that's why people like to grow from seed.
Sorry, what do you mean by 'typical'... I guess my question is, could any seed turn out to be sawtooth or long tooth or etc? I'm guessing that's what you meant by "genetic craps shoot"? Which would make growing from seed pretty exciting because you never know what you will get...
By boarderlib
TampaTraps wrote:
Sorry, what do you mean by 'typical'... I guess my question is, could any seed turn out to be sawtooth or long tooth or etc? I'm guessing that's what you meant by "genetic craps shoot"? Which would make growing from seed pretty exciting because you never know what you will get...
A 'typical' is any fly trap that is not a genetic clone of a cultivar. With seeds you'll more than likely get a bunch that look like mom, some that look like dad, and a few oddballs. Growing from seed is like having a kid in a sense. Chances are they will not be an exact replica of mom or dad, but a combination of both.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By TampaTraps
boarderlib wrote:
TampaTraps wrote:
A 'typical' is any fly trap that is not a genetic clone of a cultivar. With seeds you'll more than likely get a bunch that look like mom, some that look like dad, and a few oddballs. Growing from seed is like having a kid in a sense. Chances are they will not be an exact replica of mom or dad, but a combination of both.

So I just looked through the 24 pages of this thread and kind of answered my own question and more about clones/TC/cultivars... How cool are these little plants! :D It's like a mystery box as to what you get which is really neat. I think I'm addicted... Can't wait to get my seeds and try it out. Is the typical way explained on this site for germinating seeds the best way or should I try water germination like XR has done?

It looks like my backyard is the perfect environment for growing CPs(at least cape sundews and VFTs). I did end up buying little cocktail umbrellas for the summer when it gets REALLY hot in the sun here in Tampa. I figure I can just cut them to size so I can keep the mid day sun off of them.
By Branmuffin
I never had luck with water germination but did have good success with other methods. I prefer chopped sphagnum moss, I use seedling trays and put about 5 seeds per plug. Growing from seed is awesome but not a simple task, you will fight mold and other issues until you find what works best for you. It doesn't take much to kill the seedlings and some will grow for a few months and just die because they are not viable. Basically just sterilize everything and you should have a good chance of success.
By boarderlib
TampaTraps wrote: Is the typical way explained on this site for germinating seeds the best way or should I try water germination like XR has done?
This is up to you. Everybody does things differently. Read, and read some more. You'll find your answers, if you don't then feel free to start a thread. But most of your answers are on here.;)

To contribute to the thread. My fused tooth x fused tooth seedlings.

By xr280xr
TampaTraps wrote: Is the typical way explained on this site for germinating seeds the best way or should I try water germination like XR has done?
Me "XR"? I haven't done water germination. I like chopped up sphagnum moss.
By TampaTraps
^^^This must be a TC then?
xr280xr wrote:Here are some more seeds I started in Nov. I've got my eye on the red one on the left. I actually thought it had died at first because even the cotyledons were red. Also the pale one behind it but I suspect that one will get normal color eventually.

By xr280xr
TampaTraps wrote:^^^This must be a TC then?
Ahh, yes it is.
By TampaTraps
Thread revive... Finally got some sprouts.
Attachments:
IMG_4033.JPG
IMG_4033.JPG (594.77 KiB) Viewed 9977 times
IMG_4032.JPG
IMG_4032.JPG (820.36 KiB) Viewed 9977 times
By saltyop
aw man, that sucks. I see that happen all the time on here, a cage is a must huh. cant be too hard with some chicken mesh right
By Orit
My seed growns are only a month or two old (some still just sprouting) so they look like every other flytrap right now. But what a great thread! Really excited to see how they'll turn out.
By Artchic528
Gonna revive this thread yet again with a pic of my own VFT seedings from FTS "Superior" seed.
Super young Venus Flytrap seedlings
Super young Venus Flytrap seedlings
100_2089.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 9713 times
By Sbrown72
I wish my VFTs would seed so I could try growing some from seed. But since mine divide every year, I have more than enough.
By bananaman
With all the cool weather lately, my oldest all red VFT is looking quite nice. It’s really small for its age (5 years) because a raccoon destroyed its community pot two years ago and it dessicated into a little chunk only a few millimeters wide. But it colors up great in the fall/spring (in the summer, the heat keeps it from turning solid red).
7F979ADE-EE53-4B75-A842-8AB330785D19.jpeg
7F979ADE-EE53-4B75-A842-8AB330785D19.jpeg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 9149 times
Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!