FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
I don't treat gemmae any different than I treat the adults outside of sometimes spraying the top layer to allow root movement to keep them from drying out. Once they form their shape they're good to go. In a humid enclosure like that you're fine with that though. Considering the plastic, me personally I would pull the light up a bit maybe but I don't think it's *necessary* Personally, I've grown them 6 inches from LED and over 18 inches away on T5s. Most of them just do what they do.
By TrapsAndDews
The gemmae have now turned a brown color. :( Maybe the soil was too dry or too wet. I'll still keep waiting with the hopes of having something sprout.
Attachments:
This doesn't look good.
This doesn't look good.
IMG_004.JPG (205.5 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
By Apollyon
TrapsAndDews wrote:The gemmae have now turned a brown color. :( Maybe the soil was too dry or too wet. I'll still keep waiting with the hopes of having something sprout.
I'll see if I can collect some gemmae and send them over your way to experiment with unless you're looking for something in particular. I've found good success with a 50/50 peat/sand mix and I'll put a small layer of sand on top to stunt moss growth. I've seen them grown in LFS but the algae really stands out. Sometimes it's a bad draw when you receive gemmae. Are they all that color or just a couple?
By TrapsAndDews
When I planted them, they were all green, now they're all brown with only some having a greenish tint. I think I had a higher concentration of peat at the top. The rest was 50/50 sand and peat. I'll wait a couple more weeks. This is my first time growing pygmies. So I am inexperienced. This is also my first time sowing seeds directly into the soil. I put all my other seeds in water-filled microcentrifuge tubes and wait till they germinate.
By thepitchergrower
I think that the plastic film on top, as well as the growlights is trapping a LOT of heat. Maybe it's cooking the gemmae? Can you manage to stick a thermometer inside? :? Make sure temps don't get above 75.
By TrapsAndDews
Ok, I'll try to measure the temperature later. Although, I think you may be right. :oops: There's not that much air, so it wouldn't take a lot to heat it up.

@sundewd I am very sorry for cooking the gemmae that you donated to the seedbank. :oops: :|
By Panman
TrapsAndDews wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:35 pm @sundewd I am very sorry for cooking the gemmae that you donated to the seedbank. :oops: :|
That's how we learn. I was able to sprout some gemmae last year but ended up frying them over the summer. That won't happen again.
Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!