FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By IGotInStanford
Hey guys, so I know that heliamphora tatei is the only heliamphora that produce it’s own enzymes. Does anyone know if a hybrid involving helianphora tatie also produce enzymes? Thank you
By iamjacksplants
I'm not sure if I buy that. All my heliamphora digest whatever I put in the pitchers just fine. How are they doing that if they aren't producing their own enzymes?

Happy growing,
-@.
By SundewWolf
I also read they don't have enzymes and rely on bacteria to break down the food into useable nutrients. Is this info correct? idk, I forget the source and haven't look at any specific literature on this again. I just squirt MaxSea and fish pellets into all the pitches and all my Heliamphora seem to grow fine.
SundewWolf liked this
By iamjacksplants
Not sure. I know I have read the same thing. I also know that I have accidentally dumped the contents of a number of heliamphora on many occasions, whether repotting, unpacking, dividing etc. and they never seem to have any problems refilling with fluid and digesting whatever I put in there. Usually crickets. And like nepenthes, if you toss a live cricket in a dry pitcher, the movement of the cricket trying to escape will trigger the pitcher to produce more fluid. I guess the bacteria is still in the pitcher from the previous fluid? I don't know.

Happy growing,
-@.

After the flowers are pollinated the petals dry u[…]

The disease you're thinking of is called mastitis.[…]

That’s not variegation. It’s chlorosis[…]

So I have two Venus fly traps, both of which I ju[…]

Terrarium ac, too much?

Maybe 1-2 hours during the day.

This site's fly trap soil is perfect for flytraps.[…]

Cephalotus Temps

I grow mine indoors under lights, no extra humidit[…]

Looking for Eden Black

Hello, I’m looking to buy an Eden Black. […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!