Heliamphora tatei crosses

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here
IGotInStanford

Heliamphora tatei crosses

by IGotInStanford » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:03 am

Hey guys, so I know that heliamphora tatei is the only heliamphora that produce it’s own enzymes. Does anyone know if a hybrid involving helianphora tatie also produce enzymes? Thank you

iamjacksplants

Re: Heliamphora tatei crosses

by iamjacksplants » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:40 am

I'm not sure if I buy that. All my heliamphora digest whatever I put in the pitchers just fine. How are they doing that if they aren't producing their own enzymes?

Happy growing,
-@.
"If you don't ask the question, you don't have to listen to the answer you didn't want to hear..."
-Charles Steven Coleman Jr. RIP

"If you had one more eye you'd be a Cyclops, which explains missing the premise."
-Aesop Rock

CpKid

by CpKid » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:13 am

I always thought that heliamphora used bacteria to break down insect matter, then absorbed the nutrients. I'm not sure though, I've never been fortunate to own one myself

The following users would like to thank CpKid for this post
iamjacksplants

SundewWolf

by SundewWolf » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:00 am

I also read they don't have enzymes and rely on bacteria to break down the food into useable nutrients. Is this info correct? idk, I forget the source and haven't look at any specific literature on this again. I just squirt MaxSea and fish pellets into all the pitches and all my Heliamphora seem to grow fine.
plant videos: http://www.youtube.com/liguus

Plants in my collection: post186153.html

The following users would like to thank SundewWolf for this post
iamjacksplants

iamjacksplants

by iamjacksplants » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:09 am

Not sure. I know I have read the same thing. I also know that I have accidentally dumped the contents of a number of heliamphora on many occasions, whether repotting, unpacking, dividing etc. and they never seem to have any problems refilling with fluid and digesting whatever I put in there. Usually crickets. And like nepenthes, if you toss a live cricket in a dry pitcher, the movement of the cricket trying to escape will trigger the pitcher to produce more fluid. I guess the bacteria is still in the pitcher from the previous fluid? I don't know.

Happy growing,
-@.
"If you don't ask the question, you don't have to listen to the answer you didn't want to hear..."
-Charles Steven Coleman Jr. RIP

"If you had one more eye you'd be a Cyclops, which explains missing the premise."
-Aesop Rock

Return to Pitcher Plants