FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By IGotInStanford
Hey guys, so I know that heliamphora tatei is the only heliamphora that produce it’s own enzymes. Does anyone know if a hybrid involving helianphora tatie also produce enzymes? Thank you
By iamjacksplants
I'm not sure if I buy that. All my heliamphora digest whatever I put in the pitchers just fine. How are they doing that if they aren't producing their own enzymes?

Happy growing,
-@.
By CpKid
I always thought that heliamphora used bacteria to break down insect matter, then absorbed the nutrients. I'm not sure though, I've never been fortunate to own one myself
CpKid liked this
By SundewWolf
I also read they don't have enzymes and rely on bacteria to break down the food into useable nutrients. Is this info correct? idk, I forget the source and haven't look at any specific literature on this again. I just squirt MaxSea and fish pellets into all the pitches and all my Heliamphora seem to grow fine.
SundewWolf liked this
By iamjacksplants
Not sure. I know I have read the same thing. I also know that I have accidentally dumped the contents of a number of heliamphora on many occasions, whether repotting, unpacking, dividing etc. and they never seem to have any problems refilling with fluid and digesting whatever I put in there. Usually crickets. And like nepenthes, if you toss a live cricket in a dry pitcher, the movement of the cricket trying to escape will trigger the pitcher to produce more fluid. I guess the bacteria is still in the pitcher from the previous fluid? I don't know.

Happy growing,
-@.

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!