FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Ayla
Hi. I've got a question about how much of a sudden temperature change my drosera can handle and what signs should I be on the lookout for as far as stress/shock to it. I live in far se tx and summer and winter are quite literally in the same week. Then it quite often goes back and forth like that repeatedly until what we call winter becomes a steady constant. This week it went from over 100 degrees F. to the 40s overnight. Stayed in the 50s a couple days and is now a low of 60 at night warming to high 70s durring the day. (And is projected to do that all week). I have a good space heater in the room along with a humidifier. Very nice users here directed me to the appropriate growing light I need, but I can't get one until payday. If anyone could tell me how much of a sudden drop in temp. my drosera can handle and what signs of stress/shock I should be on the lookout for I'd appreciate it greatly. Thank you all. Please bear with me. This is my first year having CPs. Thank you again.
By mo_carnivore
Drosera spatulata should do fine with pretty much any temps between freezing and 110 degrees, although long times at those extremes might be harmful. I think 50s are fine, if it drops into the 40s at night it shouldn't be an issue but the plant might slow down in growth.
mo_carnivore liked this
By bananaman
It depends on the exact origin of your spatulata — it’s a super widely ranging, diverse species that has temperate, warm temperate, subtropical, and tropical populations.

Most of the common forms in cultivation are subtropical and can take from freezing up to well over 100° just fine.

As an example, some weedy spatulata have seen everything from ~45° or so to 110° outside this year so far and are still doing great.
By Ayla
Ha. I keep getting a kick out of your name bananaman. Everytime I see it I keep thinking about the slogan "Keep Austin Weird." :P I miss Austin. Anyways, Is there any real way to tell what subspecies of drosera I have? As I've said before this is the first year I've had CPs and until last week I was under the impression that all sundews were red. It was bought off amazon listed generically as "sundew plant". So I dont have alot to go on.

You can also buy the Gubler's LFSM at Lowe's, on[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!