FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Bill McEnaney
Everybody.

I'm beginning to think that I need to raise only CPs that don't need dormancy. So what ones would you suggest?

Thanks.

Bill
By AshG
African Sundews, like Drosera Spatulata.
By parker679
D. filiformis "Florida", also known as D. filiformis "Florida All Red" is a variant that requires little to no winter treatment and is recommended by the ICPS as a good terrarium plant.

I have a ton of D. filiformis that must have been hiding as seeds in a clump of D. trayci I purchased a couple years ago. I'm not 100% whether or not it's the "Florida" variety but if you PM me your address I'd be happy to send you some when I get around to re-doing my mini bog. This way you can give it a try at no cost.
By Grey
Another good terrarium plant is Utricularia calycifida, it has been recommended as it has higher humidity requirements than other Utrics (although Utricularia sandersonii is a fantastic starter Utric that has no dormancy requirements) and is quite simply beautiful. I had great success with it inside my terrarium before I turned it into a beetle habitat.

The plant now resides alongside my own U. sandersonii in a clear glass cube on my windowsill. The leaves of the U. calycifida that are above the surface of the soil are looking very sorry for themselves but I have new growth under the surface of the soil near the front of the glass where the soil is heated by the sun and they are thriving. The leaves are gorgeous, they are wide, green and have purple veining. The flowers are orchid-like.

If you're able to get ahold of one I'd highly recommend it.
By cp_geek
grow tropical plants like nepenthes in a south/southwest facing window. all u need is a decent fish take, the wider the better. get a small growing highland nep or lowland depending on the temperature it gets during winter. Small highland/intermediates to start with are N. alata, ventricosa, gracillima or tentaculata. if you want you can start with an . khasiana and grow it in a south window without any extra lights or a terrarium.
By Gaz
another African Sundew like D. capensis perhaps or a Cephalotus follicularis

cheers
Gary

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!