FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By MichaelG
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could tell me reliably whether my variegated pineapple plant (ornamental variety) will die after blooming. It's about 4 feet tall and in diameter. The pineapple it produces will not be edible but the bloom is going to be gorgeous!!

By xr280xr
I can't tell you reliably but I have a mini pineapple plant that grew a pineapple last fall (which was delicious). After we cut it off that shoot didn't grow any more leaves but it stayed alive (until winter temps had their way with it) and it had already started growing 2 more shoots from the base. I think they may keep living but I've heard they only grow fruit once, or sometimes twice. You can also cut the top off the pineapple and grow a new plant from it. Hope you get a more definitive answer!
xr280xr liked this
By MichaelG
Thank you!!

It already has several smaller offshoots, but I really have become attached to the big plant that is growing the fruit. I started growing it when it was in a tiny pot on my grandmother's kitchen counter and she gave it to me (for some reason, she can't ever let me leave without giving me at least one plant or food item, or both). Since then, it has morphed into a gigantic monster that tries to snag my clothes or scratch my skin whenever I walk by... strangely endearing.

The pineapple is deep red! It is gorgeous.
By Tony C
The main plant may survive for a while after flowering, but it will eventually die off after producing offshoots (known as "pups"). This is the typical growth pattern for bromeliads.
By Kbud
LOL! Not if I bring my dogs! One won't like the people but love the dogs and the other loves the people but won't like the dogs! Yeah, it's a great combo. The second one will probably hide behind the pretty pineapple plant!

Anyway, love the plant! Now I want one! Is it a true bromeliad? I thought those died after flowering but maybe I could be wrong. Either way, love the plant and the pineapple is beautiful!!!!!

If your dog isn't drinking a lot, I should bring over my first dog - the first one I mentioned. He like loves to pee or something because when we come home he chugs his whole dish before he goes out! What a quirky dog!
By MichaelG
I actually have no idea. It was growing in a teeny tiny pot on my grandmother's kitchen table, and she gave it to me as a gift when I visited her one day. Then it grew and grew and grew and I repotted it several times before it became so spiky that I can't bear to get near it anymore. I eventually just stuck a stake in there and tied it since it became top heavy.

My dog drinks fine, but she won't swim!
By MichaelG
I actually have no idea. It was growing in a teeny tiny pot on my grandmother's kitchen table, and she gave it to me as a gift when I visited her one day. Then it grew and grew and grew and I repotted it several times before it became so spiky that I can't bear to get near it anymore. I eventually just stuck a stake in there and tied it since it became top heavy.

My dog drinks fine, but she won't swim!

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!