FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Trapper Kay
Bought this cutie on Carnivorous Plant Nursery. Can’t wait till it grows up to be an adult. I really love the colors on it. First Sarracenia, so if you guys have any suggestions on growing them, please let me know. Just for reference I’m in zone 9
Attachments:
0FBC0BE0-C023-4048-AABD-F0DDB76B97FD.jpeg
0FBC0BE0-C023-4048-AABD-F0DDB76B97FD.jpeg (3.28 MiB) Viewed 4084 times
Last edited by Trapper Kay on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trapper Kay liked this
By Trapper Kay
Dionae wrote:Lots of water and even more sun and you should be fine.
Thanks! I have it sitting in a tray of water about 1/4. I through it right out into the sun. Hopefully it won’t get too hot this week. It’s fine if it gradually gets hotter but this weather changes so drastically now (like 70 f one day then 106 f the next)
By Trapper Kay
SundewWolf wrote:Good news is that you live in a good zone for it, and shouldn't have any issues in the winter. Keep them moist and in full sun and they should grow fine.
Oh nice, I’m happy to know that! Thanks :) the weather has been crazy though lately. Normally my flytraps are fine but even they got scorched during our drastic temperature increases within a day (normally they are fine if it slowly gets hotter)
By optique
I got one from same place in May hope to cross with okee minor.
Last edited by optique on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By xanthoparmelia
Congrats! It's no secret that i'm an unapologetic Sarracenia shill, so it's cool to see folks trying their luck with them.

Sarracenia are very hardy and you've already gotten good advice on the basics. The only thing i'll add is that my leucos have been more prone to root rot than some of the other varieties i keep. This could very well be due to conditions in my part of the country or issues with my setup. I know some growers don't have any issues with it, but I personally don't tray water to the same extent as my other plants. i usually just top water them.
By Trapper Kay
xanthoparmelia wrote:Congrats! It's no secret that i'm an unapologetic Sarracenia shill, so it's cool to see folks trying their luck with them.

Sarracenia are very hardy and you've already gotten good advice on the basics. The only thing i'll add is that my leucos have been more prone to root rot than some of the other varieties i keep. This could very well be due to conditions in my part of the country or issues with my setup. I know some growers don't have any issues with it, but I personally don't tray water to the same extent as my other plants. i usually just top water them.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll make sure to keep an eye out for rot. The water has been evaporating at a very high rate just due to the summer heat we have been having. I will probably top water when weather is below 95f. I normally under water a lot but I guess it’s better than over watering lol.
By Dionae
xanthoparmelia wrote:Congrats! It's no secret that i'm an unapologetic Sarracenia shill, so it's cool to see folks trying their luck with them.

Nah, same here except I don't top water but keep erthang in tables. I have serious problems with root rot on leucophylla in the winter if I don't spray them thoroughly with a fungicide/disease preventer. I have a couple products I use. I'll grab some pics of them. I also will not trim a leucophylla, or any other sarracenia, in the fall. I leave the leaves on to act as a windbreak for the rhizomes during the winter then cut them in the spring.
By Trapper Kay
optique wrote:I got one from same place in May hope to cross with okee minor.
Omg! I looooovvvvveeee it!! I wish mine were bigger now :( guess I’ll have to (try to) be patient. :)

It looks very happy, and I can tell you take great care of it! :)
By Trapper Kay
xanthoparmelia wrote:I should clarify that when it's hot out, everything is tray watered. It's just when temperatures are cooler, i don't leave the leucos sitting in water.

For fungicide I use Safer Brand Fungicide.
Thanks! ill make sure to buy some just in case. I want to keep my first (and at this point - my only) sarracenia alive and well. :)

Thank you all for the great info, I really do appreciate it!<3
By FlyTrap Hunter
Trapper Kay wrote:
optique wrote:I got one from same place in May hope to cross with okee minor.
Omg! I looooovvvvveeee it!! I wish mine were bigger now :( guess I’ll have to (try to) be patient. :)

It looks very happy, and I can tell you take great care of it! :)
It looks like Kermit the frog to me. And I love Kermit the frog.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!