Matt wrote:Looks like they might have crown rot. This is common when trying to grow Venus flytraps indoors under artificial lighting. These guys were growing happily in a greenhouse and outdoor setting (moved in and out) so transitioning to indoor growing likely resulted in some confusion which caused them to stall growing a bit and now they appear to be struggling with crown rot. See here for my recommended way to treat it:
Not a pretty process, but it usually results in a bunch of small plants growing rather than the entire large plant dying.
You're going to make me famous on this forum
I was actually going to offer the advice you had given me because it sounded nearly identical to what I went through.
I had done this with a purple ambush I got from FTS. VFTs don't seem to like living indoors with LFS. It takes a very long time to dry out. It was also packed pretty full so my pot was pretty much saturated around the clock. If I were to do it again(indoors), I would absolutely add an aggregate or probably run something like 50/30/20 peat/silica/perlite to maintain less moisture and drain everything out. Kinda like what some people do with Cephalotus.
My VFT had a division so I was able to attempt this surgery on two of them. One survived and one didn't. You'll be able to tell if it worked fairly quickly. I think I had new growth within two weeks or less if I remember correctly. If it does survive, don't be alarmed if its first leaves don't have traps, it just got mauled lol. After another week or two mine started developing traps and now it's approx. a starter size. I'll have to post a pic to that thread soon
It's growing quickly and I believe it has a second plant as Matt said(multiple sprouts). I do hope it works out, I know what it's like to watch that happen. I put mine outside immediately after the repot in partial shade with about 3-4 hours of afternoon sun until it started growing again. Good luck!
Today I will do what others won't so tomorrow I can do what other's can't.