FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By FunkeePanda
This paragraph can be skipped. Seems every time I pat myself on the back something comes around and drop kicks my poor VFT's. Thank you everyone that's helped these poor guys survive this long! I'm calling on some more assistance.

My Trev's Dracula's haven't been looking so hot. They began to yellow a bit, so I assumed my lighting situation was poor. even though it looks like the heavens are coming down from their platform.

Then ALL OF THE TRAPS CLOSED.

Then the new developing traps began to blacken. As in straight out of the ground.

Then the Traps that had closed are now beginning to wrinkle. They haven't blackened yet, but i can only assume that's next.

Please help.
By FunkeePanda
Here is a photo of my Trev and G16 All traps closed....
Attachments:
20200705_210353.jpg
20200705_210353.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 4479 times
20200705_210228.jpg
20200705_210228.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 4479 times
20200705_194357.jpg
20200705_194357.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 4507 times
Last edited by FunkeePanda on Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By FunkeePanda
And the lighting situation. It's happening to my G16 as well. I Should've listen to Matt and not have gotten so many because the situation is escalating faster than i think I'll be able to react, and they were so beautiful.
Attachments:
20200705_195351.jpg
20200705_195351.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 4498 times
By uxleumas
hmmmm... i assume you haven't been fertilizing it or doing anything simaler. it could be that it's going into dormancy, maybe because of the light. has it been exposed to extream temperatures? anywhere they you can handle with only a t-shirt, the plant can handle, a bit colder is okay, down to a bit over freezing. a picture would be helpful, even if the picture(s) are blurry.
ideas on what may have happened:
•soil, somehow fertilizer got in
•water, you are either drowning it or it's not getting enough.
•light, the light is too strong in the red-green section, causing leaves to wrinkle, and not enough purple/blue/uv to make the plant grow
•weird dormancy?
•bugs/pests
•mold/fungi
•it reached the end of it's life (really rare i think)
•it needa a repot
• dreaded crown rot (see other fourms, basicly get rid of it)
• it got shocked
update: i didn't see the photos while making this post so i thought the plant was mostly black and reduced to a small, trapless plant.
it looks like that it needs a lot of light, since the leaves are flatting and stuff. get a second opinion though, i don't want to be responsible for your plant's death if i said something wrong (it actually needs less light, it's just shedding it's leaves, ect)
By FunkeePanda
@uxleumas,

All good. Thanks for the feedback.

I keep being told that they may just still be adjusting since I've only had them for a month. Which i definitely believe they are still adjusting.

My only thing with that is why were they so happy for 4 weeks then bam. Time for all hell to break loose.
By FunkeePanda
Weird update. I was looking into the center of the plant and counted 6 in total Sprouts still within the moss, but on their way up. Could that play a factor. Been reading random care topics in the forum and someone said something about each division can only have a total of 7 traps.
By Matt
Looks like they might have crown rot. This is common when trying to grow Venus flytraps indoors under artificial lighting. These guys were growing happily in a greenhouse and outdoor setting (moved in and out) so transitioning to indoor growing likely resulted in some confusion which caused them to stall growing a bit and now they appear to be struggling with crown rot. See here for my recommended way to treat it:
post356047.html#p355897

Not a pretty process, but it usually results in a bunch of small plants growing rather than the entire large plant dying.
Apollyon liked this
By FunkeePanda
@Matt,

Sorry Matt. Y'all did a great job raising the plant.

To clarify from what i read, don't pull the leaves back to the point if it beginning to snap off right?
By FunkeePanda
This look okay?
Attachments:
20200707_161521.jpg
20200707_161521.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 4358 times
20200707_161503.jpg
20200707_161503.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 4358 times
20200707_161436.jpg
20200707_161436.jpg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 4358 times
By FunkeePanda
DUDE!!!

I found the rot dead center and there was the tiny clear worm thing crawling up the crown after taking it out. This is horrible. Good call.... Thank you.

I don't know how to tell when I'm done though. the center straight up brown is gone. thing it the leaves, or layers of rhizome that was touching the rot is beginning to right on the outer edges past the main rot. I'd say 5% rot. Does it heal, or is it a goner too?
By MikeB
I had crown rot set in with 3 flytraps that I had to overwinter in the house. I ended up reducing them to leaf pulls and planting them. Nearly every leaf had a strike - very nice! Now I have about 20 small flytraps with nice genetics, and they're doing great.
FunkeePanda, Matt liked this
By Apollyon
Matt wrote:Looks like they might have crown rot. This is common when trying to grow Venus flytraps indoors under artificial lighting. These guys were growing happily in a greenhouse and outdoor setting (moved in and out) so transitioning to indoor growing likely resulted in some confusion which caused them to stall growing a bit and now they appear to be struggling with crown rot. See here for my recommended way to treat it:
post356047.html#p355897

Not a pretty process, but it usually results in a bunch of small plants growing rather than the entire large plant dying.
You're going to make me famous on this forum :lol: I was actually going to offer the advice you had given me because it sounded nearly identical to what I went through.

I had done this with a purple ambush I got from FTS. VFTs don't seem to like living indoors with LFS. It takes a very long time to dry out. It was also packed pretty full so my pot was pretty much saturated around the clock. If I were to do it again(indoors), I would absolutely add an aggregate or probably run something like 50/30/20 peat/silica/perlite to maintain less moisture and drain everything out. Kinda like what some people do with Cephalotus.

My VFT had a division so I was able to attempt this surgery on two of them. One survived and one didn't. You'll be able to tell if it worked fairly quickly. I think I had new growth within two weeks or less if I remember correctly. If it does survive, don't be alarmed if its first leaves don't have traps, it just got mauled lol. After another week or two mine started developing traps and now it's approx. a starter size. I'll have to post a pic to that thread soon :lol: It's growing quickly and I believe it has a second plant as Matt said(multiple sprouts). I do hope it works out, I know what it's like to watch that happen. I put mine outside immediately after the repot in partial shade with about 3-4 hours of afternoon sun until it started growing again. Good luck!
FunkeePanda liked this
By FunkeePanda
@Apollyon,

Thank you man. This is pretty gut wrenching of an experience that I'd like to not put these guys through again. I'm a little too attached to these things.

The too tight of sphagnum for indoors is totally true. The more I unpacked the plant the more i realized I'm gonna have to re-pot the whole collection.

I'm working with what I have. 50/50 perlite and Sphagnum that wont be packed as tight, and with the crown further at the top. Hopefully i can get some sand soon to lightly cover the top with, and we will see if that works for the drain.

I make the process longer than it has to be lol. Each one yesterday took an hour or so, and I'd like to hit all the others today before it progress anymore.

Yea, Some survivor photos would really be encouraging lol.
By FunkeePanda
@MikeB,

Didn't see this yesterday. Very nice of an outcome and encouraging!!!

did you even use the pullings that were touching the rot, if I may ask?
Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!