FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
I know many have experienced this before, but it's a first for me.
Last year, a member of another forum had a root clump leftover from repotting their Multifida and was going to throw it out. I talked him into sending it to me, and was able to make 4 little pots out of it.
Two pots took and produced little ones, one of which I gave to a school teacher. She keeps hers inside, while I keep mine outside.
Yesterday, I noticed my first double split and got very excited. Because the teacher keeps hers inside, hers is smaller and has not done more than a single split yet.
I can't wait for more.
Mine
Mine
20200611_190115.jpg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 2825 times
Hers
Hers
20200612_115555.jpg (787.27 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
Panman, hackerberry liked this
By Greenthumbs Garden
@ChefDean, Awsome Dean, a cool little experiment to show the difference in light quality. It looks wonderful, I would like to get one of these one day.
By hungry carnivores
I find temps help too, as does water. After flooding a pot, I was rewarded by a 8 point leaf on my Multi var Extrema.

@ChefDean, thanks for demonstrating the difference in care that a sundew can get, and the wide variation of success.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By Apollyon
Nice! I also recently acquired binata multifida not too long ago as seedlings and I noticed a couple of days ago it also doing double splits after putting outside! Very cool
By hungry carnivores
Another forky dew tip- I repot mine once every two months, as with *most* easy or vigorous sundews (not petiolaris or pygmy). This allows me to snag roots, which are my preferred propagation material. I'll show you the speed of root cuttings once I start my latifolia forest, but that's a topic for later.

Moral- Prop Prop Prop Propagate your plants.
By Apollyon
hungry carnivores wrote:Another forky dew tip- I repot mine once every two months, as with *most* easy or vigorous sundews (not petiolaris or pygmy). This allows me to snag roots, which are my preferred propagation material. I'll show you the speed of root cuttings once I start my latifolia forest, but that's a topic for later.

Moral- Prop Prop Prop Propagate your plants.
Neat idea, it's good to know they're so durable. Mine recently started spiking in their growth. 2 months for me at this point would be a stretch but I can see how vigorous a plant this is and I'll definitely spark some cuttings in a few months if they're that resilient.
By tommyr
I got one last fall (along with a regular binata) and it was slowly dying on me for some reason. Repotted it and now it's doing fine. Great plants!
Greenthumbs Garden liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!