FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By PlantsWithTeeth_01
Do any of the hybrids of Bicalcarata have something reasonably significant resembling fangs? I've seen that Raff x Bical has something that looks pretty good, and maybe back breeding could bring that trait out more?

http://www.cpphotofinder.com/nepenthes- ... 14611.html

It was harder than expected to find anything on Google other than "A lot of the hybrids have nubs instead of fangs".

I would love to see a list of the best Bicalcarata hybrids, especially fanged ones, or any that either have nubs, or something more significant, that may be able to become more fang-like with further breeding?

I've added the photo's from the above link on Raff x Bical hybrids, hopefully the links stay valid.

By SundewWolf
If you search "Bicalcarata Treubiana" on Facebook there's various posts about this hybrid. Saw one posted yesterday in Carnivorous plant community.

I usually say the hybrids' "fangs" seem to be more subtle that a pure bical so I kinda don't get the point of them, but the ones you posted are pretty solid.
By PlantsWithTeeth_01
SundewWolf wrote:If you search "Bicalcarata Treubiana" on Facebook there's various posts about this hybrid. Saw one posted yesterday in Carnivorous plant community.

I usually say the hybrids' "fangs" seem to be more subtle that a pure bical so I kinda don't get the point of them, but the ones you posted are pretty solid.
Ah yeah nice, that's a pretty good one! I've heard of these disappointing hybrids but never seen them. I do wonder though that, with any of these hybrids with even a little bit of fang, if you couldn't keep back breeding with bical and enhance the fangs.
By SundewWolf
PlantsWithTeeth_01 wrote: I do wonder though that, with any of these hybrids with even a little bit of fang, if you couldn't keep back breeding with bical and enhance the fangs.
I would be surprised if that wasn't the case. Back-crossing should definitely enhance the fangs in hybrids, although then you are getting closer to a pure bical make-up so the other traits (i.e. striped peristome) will likely diminish. It's still interesting enough IMO to make the hybrids though, and I hope to do it myself one day since I have multiple Bical varieties in my lowland set up.
By PlantsWithTeeth_01
SundewWolf wrote:
PlantsWithTeeth_01 wrote: I do wonder though that, with any of these hybrids with even a little bit of fang, if you couldn't keep back breeding with bical and enhance the fangs.
I would be surprised if that wasn't the case. Back-crossing should definitely enhance the fangs in hybrids, although then you are getting closer to a pure bical make-up so the other traits (i.e. striped peristome) will likely diminish....
You might be surprised about how many inherited traits it keeps. I wouldn't be surprised if the striped peristome stuck. I also wonder if you crossed two of the same hybrid, whether the children would be more or less the same, or whether some traits might increase, like the fangs.
By PlantsWithTeeth_01
SundewWolf wrote:
I would be surprised if that wasn't the case. Back-crossing should definitely enhance the fangs in hybrids, although then you are getting closer to a pure bical make-up so the other traits (i.e. striped peristome) will likely diminish....
You might be surprised about how many inherited traits it keeps. I wouldn't be surprised if the striped peristome stuck. I also wonder if you crossed two of the same hybrid, whether the children would be more or less the same, or whether some traits might increase, like the fangs.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!