Best Bicalcarata hybrids with fangs?

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here
PlantsWithTeeth_01

Best Bicalcarata hybrids with fangs?

by PlantsWithTeeth_01 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:27 am

Do any of the hybrids of Bicalcarata have something reasonably significant resembling fangs? I've seen that Raff x Bical has something that looks pretty good, and maybe back breeding could bring that trait out more?

http://www.cpphotofinder.com/nepenthes-x-rafflesiana-x-bicalcarata-14611.html

It was harder than expected to find anything on Google other than "A lot of the hybrids have nubs instead of fangs".

I would love to see a list of the best Bicalcarata hybrids, especially fanged ones, or any that either have nubs, or something more significant, that may be able to become more fang-like with further breeding?

I've added the photo's from the above link on Raff x Bical hybrids, hopefully the links stay valid.

PlantsWithTeeth_01

Re: Best Bicalcarata hybrids with fangs?

by PlantsWithTeeth_01 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:43 am

Just found another good one, N.(bicalcarata x spectabilis) x northiana

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4XSIN9FLQI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

SundewWolf

by SundewWolf » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:58 pm

If you search "Bicalcarata Treubiana" on Facebook there's various posts about this hybrid. Saw one posted yesterday in Carnivorous plant community.

I usually say the hybrids' "fangs" seem to be more subtle that a pure bical so I kinda don't get the point of them, but the ones you posted are pretty solid.
plant videos: http://www.youtube.com/liguus

Plants in my collection: post186153.html

PlantsWithTeeth_01

by PlantsWithTeeth_01 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:48 am

SundewWolf wrote:If you search "Bicalcarata Treubiana" on Facebook there's various posts about this hybrid. Saw one posted yesterday in Carnivorous plant community.

I usually say the hybrids' "fangs" seem to be more subtle that a pure bical so I kinda don't get the point of them, but the ones you posted are pretty solid.

Ah yeah nice, that's a pretty good one! I've heard of these disappointing hybrids but never seen them. I do wonder though that, with any of these hybrids with even a little bit of fang, if you couldn't keep back breeding with bical and enhance the fangs.

SundewWolf

by SundewWolf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:15 pm

PlantsWithTeeth_01 wrote: I do wonder though that, with any of these hybrids with even a little bit of fang, if you couldn't keep back breeding with bical and enhance the fangs.

I would be surprised if that wasn't the case. Back-crossing should definitely enhance the fangs in hybrids, although then you are getting closer to a pure bical make-up so the other traits (i.e. striped peristome) will likely diminish. It's still interesting enough IMO to make the hybrids though, and I hope to do it myself one day since I have multiple Bical varieties in my lowland set up.
plant videos: http://www.youtube.com/liguus

Plants in my collection: post186153.html

PlantsWithTeeth_01

by PlantsWithTeeth_01 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:00 am

SundewWolf wrote:
PlantsWithTeeth_01 wrote: I do wonder though that, with any of these hybrids with even a little bit of fang, if you couldn't keep back breeding with bical and enhance the fangs.

I would be surprised if that wasn't the case. Back-crossing should definitely enhance the fangs in hybrids, although then you are getting closer to a pure bical make-up so the other traits (i.e. striped peristome) will likely diminish....

You might be surprised about how many inherited traits it keeps. I wouldn't be surprised if the striped peristome stuck. I also wonder if you crossed two of the same hybrid, whether the children would be more or less the same, or whether some traits might increase, like the fangs.

PlantsWithTeeth_01

by PlantsWithTeeth_01 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:00 am

SundewWolf wrote:

I would be surprised if that wasn't the case. Back-crossing should definitely enhance the fangs in hybrids, although then you are getting closer to a pure bical make-up so the other traits (i.e. striped peristome) will likely diminish....

You might be surprised about how many inherited traits it keeps. I wouldn't be surprised if the striped peristome stuck. I also wonder if you crossed two of the same hybrid, whether the children would be more or less the same, or whether some traits might increase, like the fangs.

Return to Tropical Pitcher Plants