FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
How am I supposed to get them all out of here without damaging either them like my sarracenia. Can they stay in there until they're much larger? Would they be alright? There's several different species in there. Image

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Cross
mo_carnivore wrote:Since the sarr is dormant right now, I would recommend unpotting the entire thing and separating them now.
How really sensitive are the sundews' roots? It'd like to save even the tiny ones.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By CpKid
Whew, thats a lot of sundew! The smaller ones are cape sundews, they're not to sensitive, and are really hard to kill (From experience lol). The Forked sundew should be fine, but I'll let someone more experience speak up on that.
By King Drosophyllum VI
The cape sundews root systems at that size should be small enough that you can remove the soil around the roots with it and put it in another pot and replace the removed soil. The I don't know about the fork leafed sundew because I can't tell what species it is.
By ChefDean
I'm in the process of repotting a bunch of dews myself. I'm pretty sure they're all Albino Capes, but, like you, I want as many to survive as possible.
Some advice I got that works beautifully is to use a toothpick to make a little hole in the new media, and use the same toothpick to gently uproot the seedling with a small chunk of the old media. Put it in the hole and gently tamp it down, again with the toothpick.
Keeping a small root ball helps in mitigating shock from the transplant.
Old pot
Old pot
20190217_143701-1.jpg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 1873 times
New pot
New pot
20190217_143716-1.jpg (3.67 MiB) Viewed 1873 times
By bananaman
Most of the sundews you’ll find as weeds are pretty tolerant of root disturbance. The D. binata and D. capensis you’ve got certainly are. They both usually continue growing without missing a beat after transplanting (even after barerooting!)
bananaman liked this
By thefic
I use regular everyday tweezers with great success. The front “tweezing” side works well to gently scoop up around the tiny plants and then the flat side to transport surrounding dirt and roots to the new pot.

Works well on my sundews, VFTs, and cacti.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!