FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By bananaman
Just for fun, I decided to try grafting some Monterrey oak (Quercus polymorpha) onto some live oak (Q. fusiformis) seedlings I pulled up while weeding. It looks like two of the grafts have already taken!
6477EE23-B04B-4DF0-9A06-2E949865B844.jpeg
6477EE23-B04B-4DF0-9A06-2E949865B844.jpeg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 2671 times
It’s not like it’s gonna benefit the plants much — both species grow fine around here on their own roots, but this is the first time I’ve ever vegetatively propagated any oak. I’m stoked! The next one I’m gonna try is an oak that I think is Q. breviloba — the acorns all get eaten before I can get to them.
bananaman, bananaman liked this
By Mawy_Plants
How neat! I've always found grafting interesting, don't know much about it. Keep us up updated!
By oval
Wow, I've never had much luck grafting, but my dad used to graft citrus trees occasionally - he was in the citrus industry.
By promethean_spark
I've grafted lots of fruit trees, but never an oak - good job! Sometimes a vigorous rootstock can supercharge the top, for instance blue oaks are much slower than coastal live oak. The opposite can also be done, which is how "dwarf" trees are made.
By bananaman
The previous oak grafts are still pushing their buds, so today, I did some new grafts with some unusual scions. The first is Sierra oak (Quercus canbyi) — an evergreen red oak from west Texas. The other is Lacey oak (Q. laceyi) — a beatuiful white oak with smoke-colored foliage. I grafted the Q. canbyi to Q. buckelyi — Texas red oak, and the Q. laceyi to Q. fusiformis.

I’m not so confident the Q. canbyi grafts will take. The scions are small and, from what I’ve read, red oaks don’t graft well. Also, Q. buckleyi seedlings don’t have fat, tuberous root like Q. fusiformis does, so they have less reserves.

Here’s what I mean when I say live oak seedlings have tuberous roots:
F1CC92CA-57A3-4CCE-AAC2-1A6C8053FA37.jpeg
F1CC92CA-57A3-4CCE-AAC2-1A6C8053FA37.jpeg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 2580 times
Those are the seedlings I grafted the Lacey oak to. I’m excited about that graft — Lacey oaks grow really slowly, but live oaks are relatively fast (for an oak). Hopefully, it’ll grow faster.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!