FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nauz
So I enjoy orchids and decided to visit a store here in Florida that has a ton of them. While walking around these nepenthes caught my eye.

So for the price on them where 25$ I don't buy nepenthes and this would be my first plants. I can for sure keep their conditions but any help with names would help. I also believe there is two types growing with about 5 stalks total.

ImageImageImage

Can I divide nepenthes?

Nauz
By Nauz
Leathal_Traps wrote:
Nauz wrote:
SerMuncherIV wrote:N. x ventrata.
The more abundant pitchers? What about the smaller one with hairs?

Thanks
Most likely also a ventrata
What about division now? Guess I could look it up and not be lazy.
By ShellyBelly82
Hi where in Florida are you from? I am interested in visiting the store you went to!
I have some pitchers I got local from Clearwater. One I got a Busch Gardens a year ago and the other I got from a store a few months ago. I have split both those little 6" pots into 7 total pots, two 6", four 10" and one 12" total. They're doing great. I cannot seem to find any good stores around here that carry them. Besides Busch Gardens, the little store I went to has just the same species every time and only 2 pots at a time. Not very extensive. I would love to try another species!

--Michelle
Attachments:
today 4-7-16 after a rainstorm
today 4-7-16 after a rainstorm
12920302_10154070037962170_8039967621533588546_n.jpg (99.38 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
one of my pots has grown so tall that i needed a trellis. May convert to stakes tho. 4-4-16
one of my pots has grown so tall that i needed a trellis. May convert to stakes tho. 4-4-16
11202093_10154061065962170_1110104108627465205_n.jpg (201.6 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
Just half of my collection. 11-15-2015
Just half of my collection. 11-15-2015
12190034_10153707053462170_6447572028840182497_n.jpg (114.17 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
By SFLguy
ShellyBelly82 wrote:Hi where in Florida are you from? I am interested in visiting the store you went to!
I have some pitchers I got local from Clearwater. One I got a Busch Gardens a year ago and the other I got from a store a few months ago. I have split both those little 6" pots into 7 total pots, two 6", four 10" and one 12" total. They're doing great. I cannot seem to find any good stores around here that carry them. Besides Busch Gardens, the little store I went to has just the same species every time and only 2 pots at a time. Not very extensive. I would love to try another species!

--Michelle
This weekend, the USF botanical gardens is holding a plant festival and there will be multiple carnivorous plant vendors :)
By Nauz
ShellyBelly82 wrote:Hi where in Florida are you from? I am interested in visiting the store you went to!

--Michelle
It was in west palm beach, they had just a few but sold a lot of orchids if you like those too. Think it was off north lake blv towards the beach. I was only on vacation visiting family since I'm stationed in another state.
By Nauz
SFLguy wrote:

--Michelle
This weekend, the USF botanical gardens is holding a plant festival and there will be multiple carnivorous plant vendors :)
Damn too bad I just went back to NC yesterday or I would have gone to it.
By SFLguy
Nauz wrote:
SFLguy wrote:

--Michelle
Damn too bad I just went back to NC yesterday or I would have gone to it.
No worries, unfortunately the usual carnivorous plant vendor didn't go, someone had Nepenthes ventrata and someone else had Sarracenia flava and Sarracenia Judith Hindle

Infact I just went to check on them and it looks l[…]

recently split a flytrap and the smaller one I got[…]

Rain

A little kids' wading pool works well, too. It has[…]

Sundew in forest

Bugs are the foundation of the ecosystem. Killin[…]

S. purpurea?

Looks like a hybrid to me, purpurea crossed with f[…]

Okay, thanks for the tip. I don't want to fully re[…]

Always nice when pings earn their keep. :lol: Ni[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!