FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By TS 1989

The shop owner told me it is an utricularia, so I bought it. When I got home and looked at it again, holy crap, it doesn't even look like those on Google.

Is this even a utricularia? If so, What species? Do I need to keep it submerged or something?
By TS 1989
Benurmanii wrote:Yep, or just an ignorant shopkeeper (which is likely). Not sure what it is exaclty, but it looks like a common aquatic plant. The shopkeeper may have thought those buds were bladders.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

But whatever, I'm just gonna flood them in peat moss / perlite mixture to see if there are any miracles.
By roarke
TS 1989 wrote:Image

The shop owner told me it is an utricularia, so I bought it. When I got home and looked at it again, holy crap, it doesn't even look like those on Google.

Is this even a utricularia? If so, What species? Do I need to keep it submerged or something?
Did the shop owner had some papers which shows that they are utricularia ? You may want to give them back.
By Grey
This is definitely an aquatic plant, it looks like it could be a species of hygrophila, perhaps H. polysperma, which is a very common, easy to grow aquatic plant. If kept out of water for more than a few hours it will dry out and die completely.

I'm so sorry for the issue you've had, this is rubbish! :( I'm hoping the error came about purely out of ignorance, as some in the aquatics industry don't know very much at all about their stock - which is very unfortunate.
Grey liked this
By Irish63
The bladders on utricularia are smaller than a pinhead so that is definitely not utricularia.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
By Earthy
Irish63 wrote:The bladders on utricularia are smaller than a pinhead so that is definitely not utricularia.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
I agree with everyone that it is not a bladderwort unfortunately. But as for the bladders being smaller than a pinhead, I can see mine just fine. My Sandersonii have put out roots above ground that have bladders on them lol...it's actually pretty cool to see...
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!