FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By TS 1989

The shop owner told me it is an utricularia, so I bought it. When I got home and looked at it again, holy crap, it doesn't even look like those on Google.

Is this even a utricularia? If so, What species? Do I need to keep it submerged or something?
By TS 1989
Benurmanii wrote:Yep, or just an ignorant shopkeeper (which is likely). Not sure what it is exaclty, but it looks like a common aquatic plant. The shopkeeper may have thought those buds were bladders.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

But whatever, I'm just gonna flood them in peat moss / perlite mixture to see if there are any miracles.
By roarke
TS 1989 wrote:Image

The shop owner told me it is an utricularia, so I bought it. When I got home and looked at it again, holy crap, it doesn't even look like those on Google.

Is this even a utricularia? If so, What species? Do I need to keep it submerged or something?
Did the shop owner had some papers which shows that they are utricularia ? You may want to give them back.
By Grey
This is definitely an aquatic plant, it looks like it could be a species of hygrophila, perhaps H. polysperma, which is a very common, easy to grow aquatic plant. If kept out of water for more than a few hours it will dry out and die completely.

I'm so sorry for the issue you've had, this is rubbish! :( I'm hoping the error came about purely out of ignorance, as some in the aquatics industry don't know very much at all about their stock - which is very unfortunate.
Grey liked this
By Irish63
The bladders on utricularia are smaller than a pinhead so that is definitely not utricularia.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
By Earthy
Irish63 wrote:The bladders on utricularia are smaller than a pinhead so that is definitely not utricularia.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
I agree with everyone that it is not a bladderwort unfortunately. But as for the bladders being smaller than a pinhead, I can see mine just fine. My Sandersonii have put out roots above ground that have bladders on them lol...it's actually pretty cool to see...

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!