FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Nick_
So today I managed to feed my fly trap a small cricket, and in the process of closing the little sucker managed to get his torso/head out a bit after the trap shut. I felt horrible watching the cricket pushing its upper arms against the trap trying to pull its legs out of the trap I just couldn't help to but to feel very inhumane, I made my girlfriend put the cricket out of its suffering because I couldn't stand it, also, I just had to release the rest of the crickets I had purchased, I wouldn't have been able to feed another one.
Although, after the cricket was dead I found a very small spider and fed that to another mouth, the spider fit inside the mouth with no problem, no legs or anything sticking out, and I had no moral problems with it... just the cricket thing that really got me. I think I would have been fine with mealworms or flightless fruit flies also.
Anyone else have a similar experience?
By Daniel_G
No.....

I think I read somewhere that insects don't feel pain like we do. Either way, I don't care.
Only time I felt vaguely bad was having to cut an insect in half.

Anyway, if you think that's bad try walking around a greenhouse full of Sarracenia pitchers, whining from all the beating wings inside.
By Nick_
Daniel_G wrote:No.....

I think I read somewhere that insects don't feel pain like we do. Either way, I don't care.
Only time I felt vaguely bad was having to cut an insect in half.

Anyway, if you think that's bad try walking around a greenhouse full of Sarracenia pitchers, whining from all the beating wings inside.
I don't know, must have been the fact that a saw it struggling to get out of the plant, sort of gave it a human characteristic.
By parker679
Can't say I ever have with a cricket. Though I feed them to my spider all the time so I'm used to it. I did find an empty praying mantis husk in a trap once and I felt bad because I particularly like praying mantids.

Now when I use to feed my snakes live mice(don't worry, I stopped that practice years ago) I did feel bad sometimes. The mice would stand up and look so furry and cute and have no idea that a snake was creeping up behind them.

Edit: Don't worry, you'll get over it. This is a cruel and cold hobby we're in. :lol:
By SlightlyObsessive
Live foods is a bit of a grey area both morally and legally, you can feed them under certain circumstances eg. if the predator won't eat other foods. There is a fair bit on it in the animal welfare act, not that the act itself is worth the paper its written on, its as holey as a block of swiss cheese.
By Nick_
Daniel_G wrote:Feeding live vertibrates in illegal in the UK....
I could never feed a mouse to a snake live. But the frozen ones... Fine....
Yeah that's how I felt about the cricket, but same here with the mouse.
By parker679
Daniel, is that a column of ice? Sweet!

As for feeding live mice, I didn't stop for moral reasons but because of the risk of the mouse hurting the snake and because bulk frozen mice are much cheaper. Though personally I never got a thrill watching my snakes eat live food, I think if your snake will eat warmed frozen mice it's a much better solution.

That's really interesting that it's illegal, or at least a grey area, in the UK.
By stitz25b
nah, it doesnt really affect me.....i like watching the insects struggle because i know the plant will be activated and get a confirmed meal...what do you think happens in nature? sometimes stuff like this happens and besides you bought feeder crickets....what did they expect?
By Nick_
stitz25b wrote:nah, it doesnt really affect me.....i like watching the insects struggle because i know the plant will be activated and get a confirmed meal...what do you think happens in nature? sometimes stuff like this happens and besides you bought feeder crickets....what did they expect?
Clearly, I bought them not to watch them die, but to provide nutrients for the plant. Sure it happens in nature, but do I enjoy watching a helpless organism struggle for its life? No, I don't mind it if the insect is trapped inside wholly but the thing that bothered me is that it shut while it was getting out. I assume you have never thought of it as if you were in the insects position.
Help! My VFT is dying

well if it goes dormant in such bad shape it will […]

Ok, What’d I Do?

Just bag the one that is wilting. You can just cov[…]

FlytrapCare forum rules

yes

Red meat viability claims

Nah, that'll kill your plants. Politicians are ful[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

There are huge rain clouds Above my House, so im[…]

Water Quality

The ones that you are most interested in are the C[…]

One thing most people don't consider when discussi[…]

Drosera seeds in water?

I did not think drosera needed to be water strat[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!