FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Volle
kinda like the thread that talks about mistakes only here we'll talk about what youve learned

1. VFT looks sickly? Just give it good amounts of light and
a. DO NOT DISTURB its roots
b. BE consistent with its environment
c. probably correct it humidity
d. maybe it wants to rest (dormant)

2. if you plant is doing very well, you're doing good and DO NOT be too conscious. there is such a thing as overcare but according to spellcheck, there is no such word :P

3. BE CONSISTENT especially if you want to acclimate your pets don't go running around moving your plant from place to place

4. Don't skimp on supplies give them the best or a very decent home

5. feed live but small insects to your VFT

6. a plant is not dead until all its leaves are brown (or black)
Tyllandsia cynea experience, i almost threw it out plus but then I moved it to my setup (with a broken top part by the way then new leaves are growing) it did well and it was still alive though it looked pretty horrible
By Daniel_G
I have a problem with Nos 1 and 6

What if the plant looks sickly from root rot? Not checking the roots could be catastrophic.

Also, I've grown plants back from leafless rhizomes...
A plant is not dead until the rhizome is mush.

One very important thing I learned in the hobby is that other growers will almost always know more than you do, so always talk to them, and visit them if you can. Friendships on the forums, or elsewhere (With other growers) will always be extremely helpful, and you wish you'd met the people before.

I also learnt that I'm kinda rubbish at looking after Dionaea
Daniel_G liked this
By Darkrai283
Daniel_G wrote:I have a problem with Nos 1 and 6

What if the plant looks sickly from root rot? Not checking the roots could be catastrophic.

Also, I've grown plants back from leafless rhizomes...
A plant is not dead until the rhizome is mush.
I completely agree with you.
Daniel_G wrote:One very important thing I learned in the hobby is that other growers will almost always know more than you do, so always talk to them, and visit them if you can. Friendships on the forums, or elsewhere (With other growers) will always be extremely helpful, and you wish you'd met the people before.
Try to contact some nearby growers with private collections and see if you can get an appointment to go to visit his/her place. It'll be great fun admiring their plants, and at the same time, you can ask how him/her grow their plants and get some valuable growing advice.
Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!