FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By bananaman
Hello!

Yesterday, I took a journey to see S. alata growing in the wild.

First, I went to the Watson Pinelands Preserve, a preserve owned by an elderly woman.

They had AMAZING stands of S. alata.
I've been there before, but I had to go again. The plants were badly affected by the drought, so 90% of the pitchers were brown, but the green ones were stunning!
They had varying levels of red veination, and some looked like S. rubra, others looked like S. oreophila, others looked like S. flava, and others looked like S. alabamensis. Yet, they were all S. alata, because it is in Texas! :o
I saw the first pings that I have ever seen.
They were probably P. pumilia.
In Big Thicket, the plants had shrubbery grown up around them, so it wasn't as nice.
We even saw snake skeletons.

It was amazing!!!

Thanks for bearing with me!!!
All the pictures are here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/south ... 12386.html
Last edited by bananaman on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:51 am, edited 10 times in total.
bananaman, bananaman liked this
By Eric
Eric liked this
By snapperhead51
BTW, where can I get S. alata? Nowhere seems to have them....

another good source of CP's is ebay just ask the right questions first , but most sellers are just CP's guys any how with excess stock ,We get great plants from ebay here in AU, no problems ! and I also sell all my cuttings and excess plants on ebay too , a good resource with a price to match,
may be worth a look ,some times the large nursery's do sell there goods at inflated prices , but then there plants are mainly a high standard too ,some are some not !! as all ways !! hope to see your pic's up soon , like seeing cp's in the wild sounds like you had a good trip out ;) good to hear , you can learn so much from field trip's , sun exposure , soil's , growth habits, soil ph , growth sizes , pests , colour range ECT ECT hope you took notes and readings !! a very valuable thing to do , is how I leaned so much about neps by going to Borneo many times and seeing there natural habits and grow conditions and emulating it back at home in the green house , it works well , noting better than first hand knowledge !! good job :mrgreen:

J
Last edited by snapperhead51 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
snapperhead51 liked this
By snapperhead51
bananaman wrote:I need to find out how to upload multiple things at once!
think its only one at a time is the only way i know how , may be these is a easy way but i do not know of it sorry , email Matt or Steve ??
snapperhead51 liked this
By dantt99
bananaman wrote:I need to find out how to upload multiple things at once!
Use PhotoBucket, Imgur, etc. then hotlink the pics to the forum :D
dantt99, dantt99 liked this
By bananaman
I noticed that the soil was just peat with a TON of sand in it....

Like 95% sand, 5% peat....

The peat was mainly from degrading pine needles, and those were also mixed into the soil.
In the shadier parts, the peat also had some decayed sphagnum, and decayed Rhodentoren leaves as well.

I expected them to have sphagnum all around them, but the sphagnum could only survive in the shadier areas (because it does not like the heat index of about 120 degrees Fahrenheit that the full sun provides in the bog).

I am truly amazed that these plants survived, because it has been so dry, that ALL of Lake Hyatt has dried up
IMG_4312,a.jpg
IMG_4312,a.jpg (64.27 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
That is Lake Hyatt now.
Before the drought, that ENTIRE thing was full of water (except for that little tree)

In other words, it was down 10 feet or so.
We saw docks that were 8 feet over DRY LAND.

So, I was amazed that only about 5% of the plants we saw looked 100% dead (i.e. no green at all on them)
Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

You can pay shipping from Lowes and still get it f[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not see[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!