FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fishman
The lime is just a ph buffer. I wouldnt think it would need to be used if peat was left out of the mix . Vermiculite can be left out too. It gets slimy lol. Ive heard of all kinds of things that can apparently be used but i havent experimented alot as of yet.
By tannerm
Fishman wrote:The lime is just a ph buffer. I wouldnt think it would need to be used if peat was left out of the mix . Vermiculite can be left out too. It gets slimy lol. Ive heard of all kinds of things that can apparently be used but i havent experimented alot as of yet.
So you think I can just use peat, sand and perlite?
By Fishman
tannerm wrote:
Fishman wrote:The lime is just a ph buffer. I wouldnt think it would need to be used if peat was left out of the mix . Vermiculite can be left out too. It gets slimy lol. Ive heard of all kinds of things that can apparently be used but i havent experimented alot as of yet.
Im sure you probably could with no real problem, but over time the soil may begin to become a little acidic ( thats what the lime would help counter). But i really feel it wouldnt be too big an issue at least for awhile. If it gets too bad i can send you some lime, i have a 50 bag of it
By tannerm
Fishman wrote:
tannerm wrote:
Im sure you probably could with no real problem, but over time the soil may begin to become a little acidic ( thats what the lime would help counter). But i really feel it wouldnt be too big an issue at least for awhile. If it gets too bad i can send you some lime, i have a 50 bag of it
That's really nice, thank you. 50Lbs is a lot of lime!!! Would this do the trick? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0063ZDT ... SY200_QL40
By Fishman
Haha. Yea i use it on other stuff too around our yard and such, but yes i believe that would probably work well. If you can find it in a powder vs a pelletized form that may be even better as far as mixing it in real good is concerned, but then again im probably being a little meticulous lol
By Grey
Your P. cyclosecta may reach up to 4cm in diameter -- that's roughly the size that mine were (although I do not have a ruler to hand so this is something of a guess :-P).

Mexican Pinguicula are the one carnivorous plant grouping that really aren't overly fussy about their soil; as long as it's not too acidic and is not waterlogged, they're generally pretty happy with a variety of stuff. It's really exciting to read about the lime making such a difference -- I haven't used this product myself, but I have seen some differences in growth patterns when using a more alkaline soil mixture (including crushed egg shells).

There are increasing reports that people have successfully grown Mexican Pinguicula in standard, high-nutrient potting compost, so there's a lot of room for experimentation here. Thankfully, unless it's water related, Mexican Pings are typically quite recoverable if left in unfavourable conditions.
By Fishman
Grey wrote:Your P. cyclosecta may reach up to 4cm in diameter -- that's roughly the size that mine were (although I do not have a ruler to hand so this is something of a guess :-P).

Mexican Pinguicula are the one carnivorous plant grouping that really aren't overly fussy about their soil; as long as it's not too acidic and is not waterlogged, they're generally pretty happy with a variety of stuff. It's really exciting to read about the lime making such a difference -- I haven't used this product myself, but I have seen some differences in growth patterns when using a more alkaline soil mixture (including crushed egg shells).

There are increasing reports that people have successfully grown Mexican Pinguicula in standard, high-nutrient potting compost, so there's a lot of room for experimentation here. Thankfully, unless it's water related, Mexican Pings are typically quite recoverable if left in unfavourable conditions.
Wow egg shells, i never would've thought that. That's interesting! Youre giving me ideas hehe! These are quickly becoming among my favorite plants in my collection. Ive yet to see one flower so that is what i am excited to see someday!
By tannerm
Fishman wrote:
Grey wrote:Your P. cyclosecta may reach up to 4cm in diameter -- that's roughly the size that mine were (although I do not have a ruler to hand so this is something of a guess :-P).

Wow egg shells, i never would've thought that. That's interesting! Youre giving me ideas hehe! These are quickly becoming among my favorite plants in my collection. Ive yet to see one flower so that is what i am excited to see someday!
I've heard of crushed shell (never egg, usually like seashell) being used as a ph buffer before. Makes sense, the calcium reduces acidity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Fishman
tannerm wrote:
Fishman wrote:

I've heard of crushed shell (never egg, usually like seashell) being used as a ph buffer before. Makes sense, the calcium reduces acidity.

Yea i used crushed coral for ph buffer in several aquariums that i run. Egg shell does make good sense for it to work in soil :)
By carnigrower
I use a mix of perlite quartz sand fine and coarse vermiculite some calci sand and some hydrostone it's like sponge rock but made from recycled glass, I prefer this to sponge rock as it's slightly heavier, more porous and looks more natural, also as a bonus it's more environmentally friendly than mining the stuff to make perlite/sponge rock my Mexican seem to live it but they also do really well in a mix of anything to be honest I've even got some in 50/50 houseplant soil and perlite. Here's a quick pic of my cyclosecta in flower at the moment
Sorry for the crap mobile phone pic, but it's all I have to work with for now, it's a real old galaxy s3!

Mark
carnigrower liked this
By Fishman
carnigrower wrote:I use a mix of perlite quartz sand fine and coarse vermiculite some calci sand and some hydrostone it's like sponge rock but made from recycled glass, I prefer this to sponge rock as it's slightly heavier, more porous and looks more natural, also as a bonus it's more environmentally friendly than mining the stuff to make perlite/sponge rock my Mexican seem to live it but they also do really well in a mix of anything to be honest I've even got some in 50/50 houseplant soil and perlite. Here's a quick pic of my cyclosecta in flower at the moment
Sorry for the crap mobile phone pic, but it's all I have to work with for now, it's a real old galaxy s3!

Mark
Absolutely beautiful, thanks for that!! How long will they last?
By carnigrower
Thank you very much for your kind compliment! Your plant is very beautiful you have really good colour in your leaves and your macro photo of the glands are stunning! Thanks for sharing! Not to sure to be honest, that flower has been out for over a week, I think. If I get another one this season I'll keep a note on how long it lasts.

Mark
By Benurmanii

I have been informed that Mexican pings don't mind salts as much as other CPs, which makes sense considering they grow in calcareous cliffs and hills.

I believe some Mexican pings are pickier about their media, but this is probably just the gypsum species and P. orchidioides.
By tannerm
I wanna get one started on a big lava rock, honestly. I saw from someone on here once.

By Fishman
carnigrower wrote:Thank you very much for your kind compliment! Your plant is very beautiful you have really good colour in your leaves and your macro photo of the glands are stunning! Thanks for sharing! Not to sure to be honest, that flower has been out for over a week, I think. If I get another one this season I'll keep a note on how long it lasts.

Mark
Thank you very much as well! This is truly my first year with Pings in general (very limited experience with them), so i have yet to see my first flower yet. I am still learning alot, and as fast as i can. I only have the one Cyclosecta, and i have 2 Esseriana as well. Yesterday I ordered 4 p.agnata x gypsicola that i am stoked about, and i cannot wait to see them! Theyre the most beautiful ones ive seen for this species imho. Hopefully theyll appreciate the same soil/growing conditions ☺
Hello!

Welcome! As the cause for a friend of mine's new p[…]

Spider Mites?

I found this on one of my VFTs, and have not seen […]

Time for a repot?

Two years does sound like time for a repot. Normal[…]

Me? I probably don't, just a spidermite issue, b[…]

RO water for Carnivorous Plants

I already have zero water pitchers. I have over[…]

SASE received from ???

I have received a SASE from a South Carolina addre[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1715. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!