FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Chesser
I was at my local nursery and horticulture shop recently and I ended up walking out with Mimosa Pudica (sensitive plant). If you don’t know, it kind of looks like a fern on rose bush twigs. The leaves fold together when they are touched and the whole plant droops if it’s disturbed too much. Does anyone else have mimosa? I find it very fascinating and peculiar.
By riveraXVX
last year when my child and I visited the UNCC gardens they gave her a free one - it was awesome! it unfortunately got neglected by another household member and died we plan on growing another sooner than later! cool lil plants
By Gaz
I'm the UK and I've tried to grow these a few times, as you say they are fascinating, but I really struggled to get the growing conditions right. They seem to prefer the soil to be permanently moist and are not very forgiving if you get it wrong. Once things do go wrong they start dropping leaves all over the place and look really scruffy. I even tried growing from seed which was not much better. Eventually my plants died and I gave up on them. For me cacti and carnivorous plants are much more straightforward.

Sent from my Harrier from EE using Tapatalk
By King Drosophyllum VI
I have a plant on my windowsill growing right next to some pitcher plants and my corpse flower and it does fine so I don't see why you're having problems. What I don't know is how to get it to flower to get more. It is grown from seed. The leaves are closed in the picture because it was taken at night and this is normal.
0214191833a-1.jpg
0214191833a-1.jpg (962.61 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
0214191833-1.jpg
0214191833-1.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 5222 times
By DragonsEye
Be forewarned ...this plant can become an invasive weed in warmer climates. The seeds can remain dormant for years.
By Kenneth
Gaz wrote:I'm the UK and I've tried to grow these a few times, as you say they are fascinating, but I really struggled to get the growing conditions right. They seem to prefer the soil to be permanently moist and are not very forgiving if you get it wrong. Once things do go wrong they start dropping leaves all over the place and look really scruffy. I even tried growing from seed which was not much better. Eventually my plants died and I gave up on them. For me cacti and carnivorous plants are much more straightforward.

Sent from my Harrier from EE using Tapatalk
Your suppose to let the soil dry out a little before watering again. They are very prone to root rot if kept overly moist.
By Molino
I bought a fern palm a few years ago. Every 3 years baby mimosa pudica start growing on the side. Very strange!
By bananaman
I have a plant that was given to me as M. pudica, but I’ve come to believe it’s really M. strigillosa or another species because it’s thornless and the pods are completely different from M. pudica. It’s still a sensitive plant, though, and it’s trivially easy to grow.
By boarderlib
Kenneth wrote:
Your suppose to let the soil dry out a little before watering again. They are very prone to root rot if kept overly moist.
That's odd, I grew mine just fine in 4" pots outside where half of the time the whole pot was flooded to the top of the soil level. The only thing they didn't like was when the tray turned into a solid block of ice. Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By thefic
Tall, glazed glass pots with those decorative trays work well for me. I soak it once per week and then let the soil rest until the next week when it's time to soak again. I use a mix of commercial potting soil and some added sand and peat (to help regain moisture). I sit the pot next to a sunny window and just give quarter turns every few days. This has worked well for me. Got rid of the plant because the seeds got into other pots.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!