FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By dmagnan
If you are new to flytraps, before posting a question please read the basic care information here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/venus- ... care-sheet

and the more detailed information in the links here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-tr ... ation.html

There is a LOT of misinformation on the internet and even on the care information that comes with plants. The people running this website know what they're doing, and all you need to do is read a bit on the main website and on the forums to see how many people trust them.

If you have an unhealthy plant, before you post a question it is a very good idea to search the forum (there's a box in the top right of the page), because if you're having a problem, there's a very good chance that someone else has had the same problem and has had their question answered already. Try a few keywords and you'll probably be able to find the information you're looking for pretty quickly.

If you can't find the info you need that way, then in order to get a well informed diagnosis as to what is wrong with your plant, there are some things you should definitely include in your post.

1. A picture! Often the easiest way to tell what is wrong is by looking at a picture of the plant.
2. How many hours and what type of light is the plant getting? Natural or artificial? Filtered through a window, or straight sunlight outside?
3. How are you watering? The general rule for flytraps is "moist, not wet." Some of the most common problems are due to over or under watering.

Tips that everyone gets when asking questions:

1. Distilled water!! Or any water that has a TDS value near 0 (Deionized, reverse osmosis, and rainwater usually also fit this)
2. That tiny little pot isn't big enough. Small pots with very little soil dry out very fast and are very easy to keep too wet. It'll be much easier to keep the moisture level correct if you repot into a pot at least 6 inches deep. This also allows for much better root growth, which means a healthier plant.
3. At least 5 hours of direct sunlight a day is best, the more the better. Less, and flytraps won't be as healthy. That being said, if a plant is in a low light environment and you stick it right out in the sun, it might burn, so be sure to look up how to acclimate to sunlight. Artificial lights can be used very effectively, but do your research first.
Last edited by dmagnan on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmagnan, dmagnan, dmagnan and 18 others liked this
By dmagnan
This is meant to be a sticky to help out beginners and prevent the same question from being posted many, many times, if one of the admins agrees and feels like doing it. One thing that I've been noticing a lot, seemingly even more recently, is people asking questions that are easily answered with a couple minutes of reading on the main page. I'm guessing this occurs because Google directs traffic straight to the forums. Maybe this'll help.
Last edited by dmagnan on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By dmagnan
Grey wrote:Thank you for posting this, dmagnan! I'd also like to add (if I may) that there is a search function in each forum. Try using that before posting a question as it may have already been asked.
Very good idea!
By frog
I was a lurker for months before I would even sign up as a member. I would just read everything I could find relevant. Sticky maybe they will see it.
By Nats
Very good post, and needed! I hope newbies see it and read it.

We do get way too many redundent posts which could be eliminated if folks would just take a little time
and read ;)

Nice job, and a great contribution to the forum :)
By Darkrai283
Nope! It probably only makes matters worse because there will be no air movement and being the perfect place for microorganisms and fungi to breed in. Humid, warm, and little or no air movement. Many people believe that vfts are tropical plants and put a cover over them to maintain the humidity but that is abosolutely not needed as they grow natively in the Northern and Southern Carolina states which has a temperate climate. Its probably about 25C-30C in summer and -2C-8C in winter.

And welcome to flytrapcare as well! :D
Darkrai283, Darkrai283 liked this
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!