FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Deftinwolf
Posts:  36
Joined:  Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:43 am
#270684
Image

I got a few longifolia plugs 3ish weeks ago and so far I've had barely any progress on them. At one point there were three little sprouts coming up but two of them have disappeared, and the third hasn't done anything for a while. Getting decently bright windowsill light, and I'm flooding it periodically. Any input would be appreciated!
User avatar
By nimbulan
Posts:  2076
Joined:  Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
#270694
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this species should be grown in LFS or live sphagnum with less water as it is generally considered an epiphyte.
User avatar
By SFLguy
Posts:  1726
Joined:  Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:29 am
#270705
nimbulan wrote:I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this species should be grown in LFS or live sphagnum with less water as it is generally considered an epiphyte.
No I don't think it's an epiphyte
It's actually not part of the section orchodiodes which contains the showy flowers and more epiphytic species
I think lfs works fine for this one
By Deftinwolf
Posts:  36
Joined:  Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:43 am
#270710
Yep I've hunted around a good bit for info, it isn't picky and does well in either peat:sand or LFS.
By carnigrower
Posts:  92
Joined:  Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:35 pm
#271002
Yeah its a terrestrial species, and pretty unfussy with substrate, Herts a pic of mine on a West facing windowsill, it's in a mix with peat, perlite and fine grade orchid bark with a top dressing of live sphagnum. I flood it then leave it to use up the water and when only quarter of the water is left in the container I fill it back up, in winter I just keep it moist. Personally I wouldn't flood it till it is well established in the pot..
Image

Mark
User avatar
By nimbulan
Posts:  2076
Joined:  Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
#271005
Your potato salad looks a bit...green. Might be time to throw it out!
nimbulan liked this
By carnigrower
Posts:  92
Joined:  Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:35 pm
#271074
I'm taking it back to the shop to complain, Best before date is still a week away

Mark
carnigrower liked this
By tommyr
Location: 
Posts:  1512
Joined:  Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:38 am
#271196
carnigrower wrote:Yeah its a terrestrial species, and pretty unfussy with substrate, Herts a pic of mine on a West facing windowsill, it's in a mix with peat, perlite and fine grade orchid bark with a top dressing of live sphagnum. I flood it then leave it to use up the water and when only quarter of the water is left in the container I fill it back up, in winter I just keep it moist. Personally I wouldn't flood it till it is well established in the pot..
Image

Mark
Nice plant! Mine is in a west window in 50/50 peat moss/perlite but my leaves (the few I do have) are long and skinny. About 9-10".
By carnigrower
Posts:  92
Joined:  Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:35 pm
#271200
Cheers! Mine was like that for a number of years and then this year it just decided to grow, nothing changed either same pot, substrate and position. Go figure

Mark
By tommyr
Location: 
Posts:  1512
Joined:  Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:38 am
#271201
carnigrower wrote:Cheers! Mine was like that for a number of years and then this year it just decided to grow, nothing changed either same pot, substrate and position. Go figure

Mark
Thanks Mark!
D. burmannii good size for separating?

Hi, I just wanted some opinions on if my seedlings[…]

Hello from Manila, Philipppines

Let it dry a bit, the root system might be suffoca[…]

Growin Green Nursery (Farmer’s Market) (10/[…]

Cape Sundew Death???

Mine are tiny without tentacles, so I'm still unsu[…]

Pot

To get rid of the soul of the dead plant, contact[…]

GJ Bloody Nurse

What’s this I see? A division for me!!!!![…]

Lot’s of dogmatic behaviors and beliefs in […]

I'm very conflicted. I think it's possible with w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!