FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Deftinwolf

I got a few longifolia plugs 3ish weeks ago and so far I've had barely any progress on them. At one point there were three little sprouts coming up but two of them have disappeared, and the third hasn't done anything for a while. Getting decently bright windowsill light, and I'm flooding it periodically. Any input would be appreciated!
By nimbulan
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this species should be grown in LFS or live sphagnum with less water as it is generally considered an epiphyte.
By SFLguy
nimbulan wrote:I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure this species should be grown in LFS or live sphagnum with less water as it is generally considered an epiphyte.
No I don't think it's an epiphyte
It's actually not part of the section orchodiodes which contains the showy flowers and more epiphytic species
I think lfs works fine for this one
By Deftinwolf
Yep I've hunted around a good bit for info, it isn't picky and does well in either peat:sand or LFS.
By carnigrower
Yeah its a terrestrial species, and pretty unfussy with substrate, Herts a pic of mine on a West facing windowsill, it's in a mix with peat, perlite and fine grade orchid bark with a top dressing of live sphagnum. I flood it then leave it to use up the water and when only quarter of the water is left in the container I fill it back up, in winter I just keep it moist. Personally I wouldn't flood it till it is well established in the pot..

Mark
By carnigrower
I'm taking it back to the shop to complain, Best before date is still a week away

Mark
carnigrower liked this
By tommyr
carnigrower wrote:Yeah its a terrestrial species, and pretty unfussy with substrate, Herts a pic of mine on a West facing windowsill, it's in a mix with peat, perlite and fine grade orchid bark with a top dressing of live sphagnum. I flood it then leave it to use up the water and when only quarter of the water is left in the container I fill it back up, in winter I just keep it moist. Personally I wouldn't flood it till it is well established in the pot..

Mark
Nice plant! Mine is in a west window in 50/50 peat moss/perlite but my leaves (the few I do have) are long and skinny. About 9-10".
By carnigrower
Cheers! Mine was like that for a number of years and then this year it just decided to grow, nothing changed either same pot, substrate and position. Go figure

Mark
By tommyr
carnigrower wrote:Cheers! Mine was like that for a number of years and then this year it just decided to grow, nothing changed either same pot, substrate and position. Go figure

Mark
Thanks Mark!
I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!