Venus Flytrap dormancy

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps
RhysKi

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by RhysKi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Thanks! Here are a few pictures: Image & Image & Image & Image .

Keep in mind the sand is black and does have some "sparkly" bits in it. I think quartz... Anyway, you can kind of see how some are doing fine it seems while others are somewhat dying away... perhaps I'm overreacting, not sure.

RhysKi

by RhysKi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:41 pm

Sorry, here's a link to the pictures on a temporary hidden page on one of my personal sites for reference if the ones above don't show up: https://sites.google.com/view/jessica-teeters/vfts

mutikasha

by mutikasha » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Black sand could point out to its volcanic origin (volcanic glass) and could easily leach minerals as it likes to dissolve. Possibly not bad as carbonate sand but not good either. Sparkly bits could be mica but these two dont commonly go together. Quadtz dous not sparkle. Not much anyway. Your problem thus can also be from excess mineralisation in water.

The following users would like to thank mutikasha for this post
Matt

stevelau1911

by stevelau1911 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:13 pm

My VFTs should be coming out of dormancy soon. The ones with high contrast reds, and tougher looking stems are dcxls while the ones that are more orange with lighter colored stems are the SD Kronos.

The ones kept in the refrigerator through the winter look completely green.

Here's the start on B52

LillyMaclean

by LillyMaclean » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:39 am

Hi, I live in NSW Australia and since we have winter during the months of June, July, and August I was wondering if those are the month I can put my plants through dormancy?

tommyr

by tommyr » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:54 am

LillyMaclean wrote:Hi, I live in NSW Australia and since we have winter during the months of June, July, and August I was wondering if those are the month I can put my plants through dormancy?

Yes indeed.

ferincr

by ferincr » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Hello all,
I started reading this thread today (i'm only in page 5) so I guess I'll find tons more useful info.

The reason I started reading it is because my VFT seedlings are growing very slow (if any) so it crossed my mind if they are getting all the requirements.

Since I'm another one that lives in a tropical country, although at some altitude so temps are not too high (upper 80's during the day and upper 60's at night) the daylight is what triggered my concern since daylight is around 12 hr all year round which makes me think if they may be live in a semi dormant period.

They are only few months old and about 1/4" diameter (less than 1/2" the bigger ones).

So I guess I'll start supplementing them with a few extra hours of artificial light to see if they grow any faster.

Now back to reading...
Fernando

Lado

by Lado » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:24 pm

Hi guys,
it is raining 3rd day (Philadelphia, PA) 40-60F temperature. should i bring VFT indoor with artificial light or thats fine to leave it outside?
some leaves got black already. two more getting black.

thank you

Last edited by Lado on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fieldofscreams

by Fieldofscreams » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:13 pm

Leave them outside. They will be fine.
Mistakes were made

The following users would like to thank Fieldofscreams for this post
Lado

natedl98

by natedl98 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:09 am

I have had my VFT for 1.5 years and kept it indoors the whole time. Last year I left it by the window during the winter months and it seemed to have not entered dormancy. So this year I would like to place it outside because it clearly needs to be a little colder.

However, I'm in the Dallas area, and the weather can be nuts here. It can be 80 one day and 25 the next. We had a tornado roll through last week, and we'll go weeks without rain before having flash flooding.

I am worried that by moving it outside to the porch, my VFT will experience some sort of shock, since it has been indoors its whole life. Also, the porch faces east, and I have had it in a window that faces southwest. I also should probably re-pot it when I move it.

Should I go ahead and move it? Will it be okay?

tracieh

by tracieh » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:43 pm

natedl98 wrote:I have had my VFT for 1.5 years and kept it indoors the whole time. Last year I left it by the window during the winter months and it seemed to have not entered dormancy. So this year I would like to place it outside because it clearly needs to be a little colder.

However, I'm in the Dallas area, and the weather can be nuts here. It can be 80 one day and 25 the next. We had a tornado roll through last week, and we'll go weeks without rain before having flash flooding.

I am worried that by moving it outside to the porch, my VFT will experience some sort of shock, since it has been indoors its whole life. Also, the porch faces east, and I have had it in a window that faces southwest. I also should probably re-pot it when I move it.

Should I go ahead and move it? Will it be okay?

A lot of people in warmer areas use the refrigerator method for dormancy. I have never tried this method because I live in PA where it stays cold. If you use the search bar good directions should pop up for how to keep them in the fridge.
Good Luck!

Dionaea Masukippa

by Dionaea Masukippa » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:54 am

Fridge time? It's supposed to hit 16*F Friday night and snow here. None of the other fly traps look quite ready yet, except maybe Akai Ryu.
Attachments
tmp-cam-1345113515.jpg
90% sure it's dormant.
tmp-cam-1345113515.jpg (140.38 KiB) Viewed 125 times

tommyr

by tommyr » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:11 pm

Mine have been in the fridge for a few weeks now. Since mid October. Zone 6.

Previous

Return to Venus Fly Trap Care Questions