Page 24 of 29

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:27 pm
by RhysKi
Thanks! Here are a few pictures: Image & Image & Image & Image .

Keep in mind the sand is black and does have some "sparkly" bits in it. I think quartz... Anyway, you can kind of see how some are doing fine it seems while others are somewhat dying away... perhaps I'm overreacting, not sure.

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:41 pm
by RhysKi
Sorry, here's a link to the pictures on a temporary hidden page on one of my personal sites for reference if the ones above don't show up: https://sites.google.com/view/jessica-teeters/vfts

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 pm
by mutikasha
Black sand could point out to its volcanic origin (volcanic glass) and could easily leach minerals as it likes to dissolve. Possibly not bad as carbonate sand but not good either. Sparkly bits could be mica but these two dont commonly go together. Quadtz dous not sparkle. Not much anyway. Your problem thus can also be from excess mineralisation in water.

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:13 pm
by stevelau1911
My VFTs should be coming out of dormancy soon. The ones with high contrast reds, and tougher looking stems are dcxls while the ones that are more orange with lighter colored stems are the SD Kronos.
Image

Image

The ones kept in the refrigerator through the winter look completely green.
Image

Image

Here's the start on B52
Image

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:39 pm
by LillyMaclean
Hi, I live in NSW Australia and since we have winter during the months of June, July, and August I was wondering if those are the month I can put my plants through dormancy?

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:54 pm
by tommyr
LillyMaclean wrote:Hi, I live in NSW Australia and since we have winter during the months of June, July, and August I was wondering if those are the month I can put my plants through dormancy?
Yes indeed.

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:08 pm
by ferincr
Hello all,
I started reading this thread today (i'm only in page 5) so I guess I'll find tons more useful info.

The reason I started reading it is because my VFT seedlings are growing very slow (if any) so it crossed my mind if they are getting all the requirements.

Since I'm another one that lives in a tropical country, although at some altitude so temps are not too high (upper 80's during the day and upper 60's at night) the daylight is what triggered my concern since daylight is around 12 hr all year round which makes me think if they may be live in a semi dormant period.

They are only few months old and about 1/4" diameter (less than 1/2" the bigger ones).

So I guess I'll start supplementing them with a few extra hours of artificial light to see if they grow any faster.

Now back to reading...
Fernando

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:24 pm
by Lado
Hi guys,
it is raining 3rd day (Philadelphia, PA) 40-60F temperature. should i bring VFT indoor with artificial light or thats fine to leave it outside?
some leaves got black already. two more getting black.

thank you

Image

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:13 pm
by Fieldofscreams
Leave them outside. They will be fine.

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:09 am
by natedl98
I have had my VFT for 1.5 years and kept it indoors the whole time. Last year I left it by the window during the winter months and it seemed to have not entered dormancy. So this year I would like to place it outside because it clearly needs to be a little colder.

However, I'm in the Dallas area, and the weather can be nuts here. It can be 80 one day and 25 the next. We had a tornado roll through last week, and we'll go weeks without rain before having flash flooding.

I am worried that by moving it outside to the porch, my VFT will experience some sort of shock, since it has been indoors its whole life. Also, the porch faces east, and I have had it in a window that faces southwest. I also should probably re-pot it when I move it.

Should I go ahead and move it? Will it be okay?

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:43 pm
by tracieh
natedl98 wrote:I have had my VFT for 1.5 years and kept it indoors the whole time. Last year I left it by the window during the winter months and it seemed to have not entered dormancy. So this year I would like to place it outside because it clearly needs to be a little colder.

However, I'm in the Dallas area, and the weather can be nuts here. It can be 80 one day and 25 the next. We had a tornado roll through last week, and we'll go weeks without rain before having flash flooding.

I am worried that by moving it outside to the porch, my VFT will experience some sort of shock, since it has been indoors its whole life. Also, the porch faces east, and I have had it in a window that faces southwest. I also should probably re-pot it when I move it.

Should I go ahead and move it? Will it be okay?
A lot of people in warmer areas use the refrigerator method for dormancy. I have never tried this method because I live in PA where it stays cold. If you use the search bar good directions should pop up for how to keep them in the fridge.
Good Luck!

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:54 am
by Dionaea Masukippa
Fridge time? It's supposed to hit 16*F Friday night and snow here. None of the other fly traps look quite ready yet, except maybe Akai Ryu.

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:11 pm
by tommyr
Mine have been in the fridge for a few weeks now. Since mid October. Zone 6.

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:18 pm
by Lado
Hi,

Moved them indoor. (outside temp is 50-30F). room has no window. using artificial lamp. pls take a look are they ok? are they in dormancy?
thank you

Image
Image
Image
Image
image uploader

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:32 pm
by tommyr
Lado wrote:Hi,

Moved them indoor. (outside temp is 50-30F). room has no window. using artificial lamp. pls take a look are they ok? are they in dormancy?
thank you
How cold is the room they are in? They need to be in temperatures of around 33-45 F ideally.