FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Ethologist
Hello. I am new to this forum. I recently acquired a venus fly trap at a plant nursery which had a stand of VFT's of various cultivars. I think that the specific cultivar that I bought is either a bigmouth or B52, but am not sure. Can anyone help?
The one in question is the one on the right in the photo (click on link below):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58355421@N06/5355799259/

Thanks in advance!
By dantt99
I don't think it is that easy to figure out a cultivar if you didn't get the name when you bought it. If noone can be 100% sure, don't mess up and call it something, just call it Dionaea Muscipula "Typical"
dantt99 liked this
By Matt
Hi Ethologist and welcome to FlytrapCare!

As Daniel says, if you've lost the labels for the plant, it's probably best not to try to put a name on it or you could end up with a mislabeled plant. If you can review the order or ask the person you purchased the plants from if they saved a record of your order, then you might be able to correctly label your plant.

And I saw your post on terraforums asking about the Trichterfalle clone and where you can get one. Steve and I should have some for sale later this year. You'll just have to check back here on the forums and store for updates:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/

And for photos of some other clones I mentioned on terraforums, see here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post48911.html
Matt liked this
By Ethologist
Thank you both for your replies. Thats a bummer, I will never know. I bought it at a generic plant nursery, and there was a display of a whole bunch of VFT's, all (obviously) different cultivars and none were labeled. The only thing on the plant was a generic, and I mean very generic care label with fly-trapfarm.com on them. So I am assuming they were supplied to the nursery from there. oh, well. Thanks again for the info,
Thanks Matt for keeping me up to date on things with your store, I have been trying to get familiar with a few carnivorous plant forums and stores. Looking forward to buying from you in the future!
By Matt
Yes, it's unfortunate when a plant loses its label, but it sounds like perhaps you bought a seed-raised plant that may be genetically unique if all of the plants at the nursery were different. In any case, it's a nice flytrap and you will enjoy it regardless of what it's named :)
Ethologist wrote:Thanks Matt for keeping me up to date on things with your store, I have been trying to get familiar with a few carnivorous plant forums and stores. Looking forward to buying from you in the future!
You're very welcome for the information and Steve and I look forward to shipping you some plants when you do place an order. We will have a large selection of flytrap clones ready for sale this summer.
Matt liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!