FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By isaacsbees
Alright gang, I want to share a method to germinate and sprout sundew seeds consistently in two weeks or less. Here's the method:

Step 1: Put seeds (around 5-15 micrograms of seed works for me) into a microcentrifuge tube and added distilled, RO, or rainwater to fill the tube.

Step 2: Stratify for 1 week in the fridge with no light. Every day, remove the tube(s) from the fridge and give a vigorous shake (I find that this is an important step).

Step 3: Remove the tube from the fridge, shake it up, and using a pipet, quickly suck up the seed solution and drop the seeds onto wet peat moss. Keep in a bag for high humidity, and under full sun (or LED) @ ~80F for a week, and you should see loads of tiny green shoots.

I know that we've all got the techniques that work for us, just thought I'd share what I do :)

-Isaac

Matt liked this
By isaacsbees
murrkywaters wrote:I'm guessing this doesn't work well with tuberos sundews

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sorry, I shouldn't have used the umbrella term "sundew." Definitely works best with the non-tuberous varieties :)
By isaacsbees
Panman wrote:I've had mixed results with this method so I don't know if it is the method or the seeds.
I've tried it on seeds as old as 2 yrs but of course fertility isn't only linked to age. I'm sure you've had more experience with germination than me, being that you run the seed bank :)
By isaacsbees
Panman wrote:I've had mixed results with this method so I don't know if it is the method or the seeds.
Never mind about the seed bank, haha. Your avatar is the same as ChefDean's so ya fooled me. Still, highly likely you've got more germination experience :)
By isaacsbees
sundewd wrote:Have you done a comparison of this method vs without the soaking period?
Yes I have, and I've found that the soaking and agitating makes the seed coat more pliable. I'm an undergrad bio major so I have access to lots of awesome microscopes :) In fact, this discovery is a part of a paper I'm writing on CPs, maybe I'll put it up on the forum once it's done.
sundewd liked this
By sundewd
I might as well try an experiment on some burmannii seeds. What about doing the soak, and forgoing the bag; Do you think that would also increase germination? Do you have an opinion of which step is more beneficial? And which species have you tried this on?
By murrkywaters
I also have a microscope so I'd be willing to share my observations for your research. Unfortunately mine is like the bottom tier compound optical scope. I really need to get better objectives

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By Apollyon
Seems like a good idea, I happen to have a second test tube rack I can do this with and a small fridge. I know Shadowtski is partial to this method. I remember reading him suggesting it to a number of people. I'd love to get a lock on my perlata or grantsaui lol.
By ChefDean
isaacsbees wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:21 pm
I've tried it on seeds as old as 2 yrs but of course fertility isn't only linked to age. I'm sure you've had more experience with germination than me, being that you run the seed bank :)
In reality, my experience with germination is pretty poor. Seeing as I'm a Bio major too, that's pretty sad.
Supercazzola liked this
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!