FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Seith Snow
I have a purple pitcher plant that last year I put in the fridge to do dormancy. I just stuck the whole pot in the fridge since I was in Southern California. I’m now in Illinois and live in a apartment and really don’t have a spot for it to go outside. If I wrap the roots in LFSM and put it in a zip lock bag, will I need to trim the pitchers and leave a few on? I don’t have space in fridge for whole pot.
F24E64FD-D50C-4FB6-96AE-B2264B675622.jpeg
F24E64FD-D50C-4FB6-96AE-B2264B675622.jpeg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 2484 times
By Seith Snow
I could put it on my patio but then I don’t know if the pot freezing would kill it. My patio gets no sun at all, thanks to big trees blocking all the light.
By Seith Snow
I had watched a video on YouTube where California Carnivores explained the fridge dormancy. They wrapped sarracenia and flytrap roots in the LFSM, so I was thinking I could do that to the purple pitcher plant. If not I can try to make room for whole pot and pray to the CP gods my wife don’t kill me, lol.
By Apollyon
Isn't that plant a cold temperate Sarracenia? Like I believe its native range is in colder climates than Illinois.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarraceni ... stribution

If that is the case, having it out on the patio would be the play. Even if it's dark. As it is, the conditions would be the same in the fridge and you'd have to uproot everything too.

I know there are a couple growers on here from colder climates, hopefully they'll be able to give some tips
By MikeB
Apollyon wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:47 am Isn't that plant a cold temperate Sarracenia? Like I believe its native range is in colder climates than Illinois.
That depends on the subspecies:
  • ssp. purpurea is the northern one, very cold-tolerant.
  • ssp. venosa is the southern one, would rather not drop below 25 F / -4 C, prefers to stay above freezing.
Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!