FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Earthy
I decided to start some more of the 2013 and 2014 seed batches I got from Flytrap Ranch. Since they were kinda older I did a pre-soak for a few days. Planted them, and they started sprouting in less than 2 weeks lol...so, I recommend pre-soaking seeds unless they are fresh. Just my experience :)
By pumpnapat
Earthy wrote:I decided to start some more of the 2013 and 2014 seed batches I got from a store. Since they were kinda older I did a pre-soak for a few days. Planted them, and they started sprouting in less than 2 weeks lol...so, I recommend pre-soaking seeds unless they are fresh. Just my experience :)
did you change water everyday?

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk
By katya_dog1
pumpnapat wrote:
Earthy wrote:I decided to start some more of the 2013 and 2014 seed batches I got from a store. Since they were kinda older I did a pre-soak for a few days. Planted them, and they started sprouting in less than 2 weeks lol...so, I recommend pre-soaking seeds unless they are fresh. Just my experience :)
did you change water everyday?

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk
In my experience, as long as you keep them out of the sun and don't soak for more than two or three days, you don't have to change the water.

But it couldn't hurt to do so, I imagine...
By entropy81
I soak mine the whole time. I germinate flytrap seeds completely in water, so they're in there for 2-3 weeks, and maybe another week or two after they germinate so 4-5 weeks. I never change the water, but I use RO water and I cover them.

I did an experiment with some D. capensis to see how long they would live if I just left them there in 1/4" water after they germinated. The experiment failed when I left them too long without checking and the water completely dried out. But that happened because the experiment ran way way longer than I expected. It was about 6 months after they germinated, and until they dried out they were doing fine. You can leave seedlings sitting in water for months, at least with capensis, with no ill effect.

For flytraps, with fresh seeds and water germination, I generally get germination in about 12 days. Soaked seeds do germinate a bit quicker.

I should also add I've always done this under grow lights, never tried water germination in direct sun.

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it?

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

He gets direct morning sun until noon/1pmish then […]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!