FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

Due to an issue with the peat moss in my drosera binata multifada and cape sundew, I'm going to have to repot them. While repotting them, I noticed the roots are ridiculously long. They both used to be in 4.5 inch by 4.5 inch pots, but the roots seem like they're starting to pool up at the bottom of the pot and coming out of the holes. I was originally going to move them into a 6 inch wide and 4.5 inch tall pot, but should I move them into a much taller pot instead?

Better to get something like a 10 inch tall pot instead?
By ChefDean
I had my binata var Multifida in a four inch deep pot for two seasons as it was maturing, I should have only done a single season. I'm surprised it survived with how the roots took over.
I now have it in a 10 inch deep pot with the intention of slipping it out next spring to check on it. I scored a bunch of two gallon buckets from the local Kroger floral counter, and I'm sure it'll eventually end up in one of those.
Nikson liked this
By optique
After potting my Binata to sell this year i had a lot of roots left over. I just put them under 1in of peat in a 6in pot, this is them today.

Its hard to see on the photo but the peat is being pushed up and cracking.
ImageImage
Last edited by optique on Sun May 08, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikson, MikeB liked this
By Apollyon
Binata will grow in whatever you put it in. The deeper the pot the more robust itll become. My actual "specimen" plants are in 9-10 inch deep pots but ive had them grow nicely in 3.5 inch tall pots as well. Whatever you want to do with them
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Moved the Multifada to a 10 inch by 10 inch pot! 50/50 peat moss/perlite and covered the top layer with some LFSM to prevent the rain from destroying the peat moss and flinging it everywhere.

The roots literally were like 11 inches long and EXTREMELY thick, despite the fact I only just got this plant at the end of last summer!

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!