FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:53 pm I'm only concerned about how big are they when they come and will I be able to house the leftovers. My set up is pretty small at the moment. I could expand by fall but not yet. I read they get up to 16 inches.
That's the adult size, they usually ship smaller. However, if they have as an abundance as they claim to be able to sell for $1 each, they may be bigger.
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote:I also heard that you should let the peat rest in the habitat for a year before adding the plants. I for sure don't have that kind of patience.
They have an option to buy some of their pond silt that would make waiting unnecessary. Or a beginners pack with silt, 3 waterwheels, and "associate plants".
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote:I imagine shipping is so expensive because you have to find a watertight way to ship them?
Not necessarily. They can be shipped in a wet paper towel in a ziploc if transit is quick enough.
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote:But I keep going back and looking at them
I'm probably going to end up doing it. I hope I don't end up regretting it lol
Like it was suggested before, you could resell the excess. I don't know what shipping on the 50 pack is, but at $4 or $5 per plant plus shipping you could conceivably break even around the halfway point.
By NightRaider
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote: I imagine shipping is so expensive because you have to find a watertight way to ship them?
JUST FYI but it isn't that, they just ridiculously overcharge for shipping in general (though honestly it's sorta fair since most of their plants are so much cheaper than anywhere else). IIRC in my one order from them, the most comparable plant I got - U. gibba - was just sent waterlogged in a ziploc bag in a standard flat rate box.
By thepitchergrower
Oftentimes they charge additional costs and lump it with the shipping. Then they call it a "packaging fee". :lol:
By NightRaider
Yeah I personally assumed the markup was essentially a handling fee, being a nonprofit especially. Just didn't add that in my response since I don't actually know if that's the case, not that it really makes a difference.
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
Give me 2 weeks. We are doing this. I need to go to the park and get some leaf litter because my yard is full of black walnut trees and I don't trust it not to poison my water. I'll set an area up this week and let it sit for a week or two.
But. ... How would we share the pond silt?

Prepare your habitat for these. I'm counting on you guys to take some of these off my hands .... And taking preorders. Inbox me
NightRaider liked this
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
If I don't get any preorders I probably won't order tho. I cannot get stuck with 50 of these.

I'll sell them for $5 each unless you buy 5 or more and then $4 each. Shipping will be ... Idk yet but it will be fair. I've got to figure out how big the plants are first
By ChefDean
Well, the starter pack has the silt and three Aldrovanda, or you could buy the silt separately.
Personally, if you bought the 50 for $50, I'd take five off you, not worried about any silt. Packaging and shipping, even if they were adult plants, could be as simple as putting them in a wet paper towel, in a ziploc, in a small flat rate box. Shipping would be $10 for those.
You call it, I'm down to relieve you of some if you do.
By NightRaider
Yeah I'm with Chef, I can do 5 for $20 + shipping if you do. Personally I don't need any silt anyway, I have a really good culture going for my U. purpurea I'll just split out. I started mine off with some water from the creek running through my place, so you might could do something similar.
I was about to say the same thing about shipping too, I'd expect you could just do the small flat rate boxes. Could even use Pirate Ship to drop it down to $8ish also if you have a way to print labels, think several people around here use it.
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
I'm doing some research to make sure this is feasible for the pool I have ... According to what I'm reading a depth of 12 inches is sufficient for these ... I'm not sure how that's possible if they get 16 inches in length? Idk I'm just trying to picture 50 - well 40 now - of these in my space lol . Sure I could find a few other buyers as well.

I guess I'm worried about shipping because everytime I've reached out to a possible seller I get answers like this. I'm not sure why they say they are hard to ship and/or keep alive
Screenshot_20220531-223256.png
Screenshot_20220531-223256.png (261.34 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
"I was about to say the same thing about shipping too, I'd expect you could just do the small flat rate boxes. Could even use Pirate Ship to drop it down to $8ish also if you have a way to print labels, think several people around here use it."

And yes I can use pirate ship. I shipped something to someone on this forum last week using pirate ship
NightRaider liked this
By NightRaider
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote:I'm doing some research to make sure this is feasible for the pool I have ... According to what I'm reading a depth of 12 inches is sufficient for these ... I'm not sure how that's possible if they get 16 inches in length? Idk I'm just trying to picture 50 - well 40 now - of these in my space lol . Sure I could find a few other buyers as well.
I looked just now and I'm not sure where the wikipedia page got 16" from because everywhere else - including the Aldrovanda genus wikipedia page - seems to say around 20cm or 8" max.
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
Can I just take water from my neighbors fish pond and call it pond silt? Would that work? There isn't a ton of information out there for these.
Someone mentioned that I could also stock the pond with brine shrimp for them to eat. If I did that would pond silt even be necessary
By NightRaider
AFAIK the goal is really just to get a zooplankton/micro-fauna culture started, so if you're that worried about it yeah you could stock it yourself but I'd expect whatever pond/lake/river/creek water to work too as long as the body of water has been established for a while.
Also just an idea but since it's getting kind of lost in this thread, you might consider making a dedicated post for the group order for visibility. And trying not to give off the wrong idea with this lol, but worst case if you'll still be getting stuck with way more than you want you could adjust pricing/quantities later since I'll still do $20 regardless.

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!