We actually got a rain this afternoon...0.84"!!! I managed to put up 7 gallons, strained through some cotton material. It looks pretty good. I just set a cooler up under the drip line of our roof and let it catch what it could. I also sat a little kiddie pool out in the yard...the water in the pool was naturally *much* cleaner that the water in the cooler, but there was not as much of it and it was harder to dip out. I'm at the edge of a terraced field so I think next time I'll put the pool on the slope of a terrace so the water will collect to one side making it deeper and easier to dip.
I checked checked the rainwater with my TDS meter and it read 5 ppm. The traps were outside and got a soaking. I had to empty out the trays....the little rescues in the tiny black pots were dog-paddling like crazy!!!!
The tray I have the small pots in is too tall for the small pots...the water was halfway up the pots' sides. If I don't re-pot those soon I think I'll drill a few weep holes in the side of the tray about 1/2" above the bottom...I may be off somewhere one day when we get a good rain and they'd really be soggy for a while!
Anyhow, I should be in good shape for a while in regards to water. I've got 2 gallons of unopened distilled water I can set back for emergencies. Now...off to check the TDS in the dehumidifier water!