FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
:shock: I got my TDS meter and just checked my tap water....390ppm!!!!! Then, I checked my old faithful PURE pitcher filter....200ppm (I really do need to change the filter, but still....). I then checked some distilled water....4ppm. Sheesh. But, at least the tap water is supposed to be in a good range for humans. I can see, though, that if I'm going to have many CPs that I'll need to be catching rainwater...of course, it needs to rain for this to happen. :roll:
Panman liked this
By evenwind
A lot of us use ZeroWater pitchers to produce 0ppm water. Just don't know how long the filters will last when they're starting out with 390ppm...
http://zerowater.com/collections/water- ... dispensers
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
We actually got a rain this afternoon...0.84"!!! I managed to put up 7 gallons, strained through some cotton material. It looks pretty good. I just set a cooler up under the drip line of our roof and let it catch what it could. I also sat a little kiddie pool out in the yard...the water in the pool was naturally *much* cleaner that the water in the cooler, but there was not as much of it and it was harder to dip out. I'm at the edge of a terraced field so I think next time I'll put the pool on the slope of a terrace so the water will collect to one side making it deeper and easier to dip.

I checked checked the rainwater with my TDS meter and it read 5 ppm. The traps were outside and got a soaking. I had to empty out the trays....the little rescues in the tiny black pots were dog-paddling like crazy!!!! :lol: The tray I have the small pots in is too tall for the small pots...the water was halfway up the pots' sides. If I don't re-pot those soon I think I'll drill a few weep holes in the side of the tray about 1/2" above the bottom...I may be off somewhere one day when we get a good rain and they'd really be soggy for a while!

Anyhow, I should be in good shape for a while in regards to water. I've got 2 gallons of unopened distilled water I can set back for emergencies. Now...off to check the TDS in the dehumidifier water!
Sundews69 liked this
By Intheswamp
Welcome aboard, @AryaHu! Thanks for the feedback on the filter. Yes, it's well regarded by a lot of growers. It probably wouldn't work for my situation due to our tap water's TDS. I'm thinking of getting one for myself, though!<g> I think as long as the rains come, the dehumidifier keeps working, and there's a dollar store close by for distilled water I'll be good to go. I think I'm going to use the distilled water for growing from seed (at least for now) so to not introduce any more spores or wild seeds than I have to. With the maturing fly traps the rainwater will do them good. :D
By thepitchergrower
Intheswamp wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:12 pm Welcome aboard, @AryaHu! Thanks for the feedback on the filter. Yes, it's well regarded by a lot of growers. It probably wouldn't work for my situation due to our tap water's TDS. I'm thinking of getting one for myself, though!<g> I think as long as the rains come, the dehumidifier keeps working, and there's a dollar store close by for distilled water I'll be good to go. I think I'm going to use the distilled water for growing from seed (at least for now) so to not introduce any more spores or wild seeds than I have to. With the maturing fly traps the rainwater will do them good. :D
Just FYI, I suspect that is a spammer. :?
Intheswamp liked this
By thepitchergrower
Shadowtski wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:27 pm
thepitchergrower wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:24 pm Just FYI, I suspect that is a spammer. :?
Possibly, but his response is on-topic in this case.
I've seen spammers do that sometimes. In this case the spammer's signature advertises for the product. :?
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
thepitchergrower wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:24 pm
Intheswamp wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:12 pm Welcome aboard, @AryaHu! Thanks for the feedback on the filter. Yes, it's well regarded by a lot of growers. It probably wouldn't work for my situation due to our tap water's TDS. I'm thinking of getting one for myself, though!<g> I think as long as the rains come, the dehumidifier keeps working, and there's a dollar store close by for distilled water I'll be good to go. I think I'm going to use the distilled water for growing from seed (at least for now) so to not introduce any more spores or wild seeds than I have to. With the maturing fly traps the rainwater will do them good. :D
Just FYI, I suspect that is a spammer. :?
Ah, yes. I do believe you are correct. I checked his link out and it had nothing to do with Zerowater except that it was about filters...apparently the one that he/she/it is pushing. Even the signature line reads "SPAM". Thanks for bringing me back to reality. I wonder if his/her/its filters do as well as my roof? :D
By Intheswamp
Shadowtski wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:27 pm
thepitchergrower wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:24 pm Just FYI, I suspect that is a spammer. :?
Possibly, but his response is on-topic in this case.
Yep. He colored within the lines, I would say. His day job is probably being a politician...or a used car salesman (it is hard to differentiate between the two).
By thepitchergrower
Intheswamp wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:58 pm
Yep. He colored within the lines, I would say. His day job is probably being a politician...or a used car salesman (it is hard to differentiate between the two).
It wouldn't make sense to advertise for adidas shoes while we're talking about water filters, would it? :D
By Intheswamp
thepitchergrower wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:01 pm
Intheswamp wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:58 pm
It wouldn't make sense to advertise for adidas shoes while we're talking about water filters, would it? :D
Nope, but I've seen similar things done many, many times. :lol:
By Intheswamp
I've got four rescues still in their little black rescue pots. I've been pondering/wondering/ciphering/etc about what to re-pot them into. They are little things. I'm thinking of planting all four in a single pot. I've also been reading that depth is really important. Would a 12x12x12-inch pot be too much overkill for these four little traps? For watering reasons, would it be better to pot the four in a smaller pot...maybe an 8" diameter that's a bit shallower, say 7" deep? I'm thinking of this summer when it gets so hot that letting a taller pot stand in a tray of water might be worth dealing with the larger/deeper pot. Plus, more growing mix would help insulate the roots better. Thoughts?
By Sundews69
Well the bigger the pot, the more you need to water it. I think you should go with the 8" diameter and 7" depth.
Intheswamp liked this
Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!