FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By NepenBreeder
Hey guys, I meet a troublesome issue, every single of my Nepenthes Ampullaria leaves grows well except for a young leaf, in the beginning, it grew as normal the pitcher bud is red and started to grow bigger, but after I fertilized in a Suitable dosage, the rest of leaves were pretty well include the top bud until I found this single pitcher bud stopped growing and getting darker, what's the problem, what caused this? Thank you!
Attachments:
IMG_4938.jpg
IMG_4938.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 3478 times
Last edited by NepenBreeder on Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Nepenthes0260
After fertilizing Neps, they usually skip a pitcher on their next tendril and instead focus on leaf growth. It’s perfectly normal and the next leaf will grow a pitcher. Nice amp btw!
Supercazzola liked this
By ChefDean
I've also seen that when you chemically fertilize neps, you often get the skip a leaf occurrence. However, when I stuffed all of my Ventricosa pitchers with Japanese Beetles and June Bugs (natural fertilizer) last summer, not only did I see a large uptick in growth, but every leaf formed a pitcher.
The plants know the difference, it wanted more beetle-y goodness.
Supercazzola, Carnies liked this
By NepenBreeder
Is that true? So is that mean chemical fertilization is harmful to Neps?
By NepenBreeder
ChefDean wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:37 am I've also seen that when you chemically fertilize neps, you often get the skip a leaf occurrence. However, when I stuffed all of my Ventricosa pitchers with Japanese Beetles and June Bugs (natural fertilizer) last summer, not only did I see a large uptick in growth, but every leaf formed a pitcher.
The plants know the difference, it wanted more beetle-y goodness.
Is that true? So is that mean chemical fertilization is harmful to Neps?
By NepenBreeder
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:50 am After fertilizing Neps, they usually skip a pitcher on their next tendril and instead focus on leaf growth. It’s perfectly normal and the next leaf will grow a pitcher. Nice amp btw!
Thank you! But what does the mechanism of this series of actions happen, I want to know why this happens after fertilization, why it only acted on this young leaf, why the top bud and other rests survived.
By ChefDean
NepenBreeder wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:18 amSo is that mean chemical fertilization is harmful to Neps?
I believe that it is not harmful to Neps as long as you don't overdo it. Excess fertilizer for any plant is harmful.
I just shared that, in my experience, the plant reacted differently after consuming its natural prey, bugs, than it did when I had put a chemical fertilizer in the pitcher. It reacted to the bugs by expending the energy to form as many pitchers as it could. Presumably, this was to try to capture as many as it could.
By NepenBreeder
ChefDean wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:03 pm
NepenBreeder wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:18 amSo is that mean chemical fertilization is harmful to Neps?
I believe that it is not harmful to Neps as long as you don't overdo it. Excess fertilizer for any plant is harmful.
I just shared that, in my experience, the plant reacted differently after consuming its natural prey, bugs, than it did when I had put a chemical fertilizer in the pitcher. It reacted to the bugs by expending the energy to form as many pitchers as it could. Presumably, this was to try to capture as many as it could.
Last edited by NepenBreeder on Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By NepenBreeder
ChefDean wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:03 pm
So what the Nep reacts to the fertilizer is to skip a random leaf, is it?
By ChefDean
Again, that is what I, and others have observed. Whether that causes it to skip a pitcher, I don't know.

In my experience, based on my conditions, when I dropped commercial chemical fertilizers in the pitchers, it wasn't uncommon for the next leaf to emerge to not form a pitcher.

Did the commercial fertilizer tell the plant "You're getting fed, be lazy and enjoy it."? I don't know. When I stuffed every pitcher with bugs, was there a signal to tell the plant "This is what you need to catch, make more pitchers"? I don't know. I'm only guessing why my plant did that based on my limited information. One plant is not enough to get a solid answer.

Looking again at your picture, that leaf is very yellow compared to the others. Maybe it's not forming a pitcher because that leaf is dying. Maybe that leaf got damaged somehow so it's barely getting enough nutrients to stay alive, but not enough to grow a pitcher. It's definitely not normal, and that could be the cause of why the pitcher is not forming. Sometimes, maybe the plant just decides "I'm not going to grow a pitcher on this leaf".

The bottom line is; your plant is fine, it's green and alive. Don't worry about the pitchers, it doesn't need to eat in order to live, it only needs sunlight and water.
By NepenBreeder
ChefDean wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:19 pm Again, that is what I, and others have observed. Whether that causes it to skip a pitcher, I don't know.

In my experience, based on my conditions, when I dropped commercial chemical fertilizers in the pitchers, it wasn't uncommon for the next leaf to emerge to not form a pitcher.

Did the commercial fertilizer tell the plant "You're getting fed, be lazy and enjoy it."? I don't know. When I stuffed every pitcher with bugs, was there a signal to tell the plant "This is what you need to catch, make more pitchers"? I don't know. I'm only guessing why my plant did that based on my limited information. One plant is not enough to get a solid answer.

Looking again at your picture, that leaf is very yellow compared to the others. Maybe it's not forming a pitcher because that leaf is dying. Maybe that leaf got damaged somehow so it's barely getting enough nutrients to stay alive, but not enough to grow a pitcher. It's definitely not normal, and that could be the cause of why the pitcher is not forming. Sometimes, maybe the plant just decides "I'm not going to grow a pitcher on this leaf".

The bottom line is; your plant is fine, it's green and alive. Don't worry about the pitchers, it doesn't need to eat in order to live, it only needs sunlight and water.
Thank you for your comments, let me explain that, the yellow leaf is a young leaf, and when AMP grows a young leaf and it is yellow due to the young leaves have high lutein content. My question is I am not sure if the bud pitcher stopped developing was caused by fertilization or sunlight and temperature, if it is then why it chose the next leaf rather than others like its top bud because it's the weakest part and vulnerable. My goal is not only to keep it alive, but to keep it well, so the water and sunlight are sound, that's why I don’t know the reason for it as I fully prepared everything for it.
Last edited by NepenBreeder on Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ChefDean
Then it looks like you have the opportunity to experiment.
Wait until a month has passed since you added fertilizer, and do it again. See if the next leaf doesn't form a pitcher.
Then, when another new leaf is opening up, go get a dozen or so crickets from the pet store. Crush their little skulls so they don't eat the pitcher, and fill the pitchers with their fresh corpses.
See if the plant now forms pitchers on the new leaf and maybe the next leaves. I'd be curious to see the results.
I'd do the same thing, but I gave my big Nep away last year.
By NepenBreeder
ChefDean wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:45 am Then it looks like you have the opportunity to experiment.
Wait until a month has passed since you added fertilizer, and do it again. See if the next leaf doesn't form a pitcher.
Then, when another new leaf is opening up, go get a dozen or so crickets from the pet store. Crush their little skulls so they don't eat the pitcher, and fill the pitchers with their fresh corpses.
See if the plant now forms pitchers on the new leaf and maybe the next leaves. I'd be curious to see the results.
I'd do the same thing, but I gave my big Nep away last year.
I will do, but I think the plant has its adaptability. Maybe by that time, it has adapted to the fertilizer and will not refuse to form a pitcher.
By NepenBreeder
Hmmm~I think the problem may be not caused by fertilizer, it's so hard to figure it out.

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!