FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
MikeB wrote:I read someone's blog post where he said his Sarracenia were looking pretty lackluster, so he bought a tub of fly pupae from a biological supply house and let them hatch in his greenhouse. His plants stuffed themselves silly and put on a massive burst of growth. This might be a solution to your lack of plant food in Oregon.
That's amazing! I've been looking for a solution like that for years. I have never been able to find such a thing. Do you know where he acquired the fly pupae?

MikeB wrote:I've spent all but 3 years of my life in the southeastern U.S. (Georgia and North Carolina, courtesy of my father being in the Army). Hot, humid, and afternoon thunderstorms are my picture of summer.
Totally miss the afternoon thunderstorms in the midwest where I grew up!
By MikeB
Matt wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:25 pm
MikeB wrote:I read someone's blog post where he said his Sarracenia were looking pretty lackluster, so he bought a tub of fly pupae from a biological supply house and let them hatch in his greenhouse. His plants stuffed themselves silly and put on a massive burst of growth. This might be a solution to your lack of plant food in Oregon.
That's amazing! I've been looking for a solution like that for years. I have never been able to find such a thing. Do you know where he acquired the fly pupae?
He didn't name the supplier, but I Googled "buy fly pupae" and found lots of places selling them (can't wait to see the ads that I get from that search...).
Panman, Apollyon liked this
By Matt
MikeB wrote:He didn't name the supplier, but I Googled "buy fly pupae" and found lots of places selling them (can't wait to see the ads that I get from that search...).
:lol: for sure!

OK, I'll do some searching. I didn't even know that it was possible to buy fly pupae in a state where they would hatch. Good to know!
By Apollyon
I'm thinking that virtually every single person on this forum has at one point entertained culturing their own insects and then was like "Nah bro"

Wonder how long it'd take Matts Sarracenia collection to wipe out the insects lol.

Unrelated but do you guys know where I can find a Black Widow? Mike Wang said he'd have some in spring but I'd like to get one before it knocks them back :/ I'm stuck on that Sarr
By MikeB
Apollyon wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:45 amUnrelated but do you guys know where I can find a Black Widow? Mike Wang said he'd have some in spring but I'd like to get one before it knocks them back :/ I'm stuck on that Sarr
Beautiful plant! There's one left on eBay, from a seller who happens to be about 130 miles away from me. It costs $90 + $8 shipping, though.
By DragonsEye
Matt wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:42 am I didn't even know that it was possible to buy fly pupae in a state where they would hatch.
No reason to prohibit it, Matt. The pupae offered aren't going to be invasive exotics. They'll be things like the green/blue bottle flies that we all see throughout the US anyway. No different than buying a culture of fruit fly larvae.
Apollyon wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:45 amUnrelated but do you guys know where I can find a Black Widow?
LOL. When I first read this I was just skimming and missed the "sarrs" comment. I was going to suggest a herp/exotic animal show as I was thinking the real black widows. (You actually have some beautiful ones (the arachnids) native to Florida.)
By Nepenthes0260
Apollyon wrote:I'm thinking that virtually every single person on this forum has at one point entertained culturing their own insects and then was like "Nah bro"

Wonder how long it'd take Matts Sarracenia collection to wipe out the insects lol.

Unrelated but do you guys know where I can find a Black Widow? Mike Wang said he'd have some in spring but I'd like to get one before it knocks them back :/ I'm stuck on that Sarr
Calen Hall has sarr Black Widow available right now. Here's his list- https://sarracenia.proboards.com/thread ... cenia-sale

Great seller, highly recommended! Also he usually throws in one or two freebies :D.
By Matt
DragonsEye wrote:No reason to prohibit it, Matt. The pupae offered aren't going to be invasive exotics. They'll be things like the green/blue bottle flies that we all see throughout the US anyway. No different than buying a culture of fruit fly larvae.
Yeah, for sure! I just never thought there would be much of a market for such a thing!! I've looked in the past (probably 8 or so years ago now) and wasn't able to find anything, but then again, I probably didn't know what I was looking for!
Apollyon wrote:Wonder how long it'd take Matts Sarracenia collection to wipe out the insects lol.
The Sarrs can keep their greedy mouths off the flies! I want these flies to go to my flytraps. My Sarrs that grow outdoors catch plenty of insects on their own!!
By DragonsEye
Matt wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:37 pm Yeah, for sure! I just never thought there would be much of a market for such a thing!! I've looked in the past (probably 8 or so years ago now) and wasn't able to find anything, but then again, I probably didn't know what I was looking for!
Actually a fairly big market exists -- mainly to supply the exotic animal hobby. Many of the herps -- such as arboreal geckos and frogs (especially pdfs) -- prefer flies or are more easily fed with flies. Then, too, slings (baby tarantulas) and true spiders are commonly fed fruit flies or some of the other types. In addition to that, mantids are increasing in popularity. Many species will only eat flies or other flying prey.
By Matt
jose wrote:Hope you get a Saurus in TC Matt, that would be excellent! Maybe I can provide you a div in the future
I got a huge 3-growth point Saurus division this year, so I'm optimistic I'll be able to get it in TC in 2021 or 2022. It is an amazing plant!
DragonsEye wrote:Actually a fairly big market exists -- mainly to supply the exotic animal hobby. Many of the herps -- such as arboreal geckos and frogs (especially pdfs) -- prefer flies or are more easily fed with flies. Then, too, slings (baby tarantulas) and true spiders are commonly fed fruit flies or some of the other types. In addition to that, mantids are increasing in popularity. Many species will only eat flies or other flying prey.
Good to know!! I guess that means that we'll be able to buy fly pupae for quite some time :D
jose liked this
By elaineo
I breed mealworms and black soldier flies. Mostly as chicken food, but they are also good composters. Black soldier flies don't buzz or spread disease the way houseflies do, so you can even raise them indoors. I feed meat scraps to the fly larvae, and then feed the flies to carnivorous plants... feels like I'm going backwards on the food chain.
Apollyon, Panman, MikeB and 1 others liked this

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!