FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cretaceous
Possibly very dumb question here: A nepenthes cutting grows into an exact genetic match of the parent, right? Therefore it follows that if the parent is a male/female, the cutting will 100% grow into the exact same sex - true or false? Just checking, thanks!
By MikeB
True. A cutting is vegetative propagation, a clone of the parent plant.
Cretaceous liked this
By optique
this may be a curve ball out of left field. but why do some plants lose color variegation in vegetative propagation such as rooting cuttings.
Cretaceous liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Cretaceous wrote:Possibly very dumb question here: A nepenthes cutting grows into an exact genetic match of the parent, right? Therefore it follows that if the parent is a male/female, the cutting will 100% grow into the exact same sex - true or false? Just checking, thanks!
True! Any clone from a plant via divisions, cuttings, pullings, TC, etc. will be the same exact genes. There's also genetic drift with many many generations of clones but that's beside the point.
Cretaceous liked this
By uxleumas
optique wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:53 am this may be a curve ball out of left field. but why do some plants lose color variegation in vegetative propagation such as rooting cuttings.
i guess that they might need to be bought up in certain conditions for variegation? idk. also, to quote google "Variegation loss in plants could also be spurred by changes in heat or cold. ... Once the leaves revert to all green, the plant can increase its harvest of solar energy, which in turn gives it more fuel to produce bigger and stronger growth. Waterlogged plants may also turn back and new shoots often come out green." maybe it didn't get enough light and went to all green but then it got more energy that way so stopped being variegated?
By Jonathan the guru
mutations can make the clones different over time
uxleumas liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!