FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By murrkywaters
The S. x "love bug" has been putting out malformed pitchers. Should I trim them back? Is it worth worrying about?Image

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

By murrkywaters
Yep, they can deal with mid to low temperatures and reduced photo periods fine. I have all the ones that *need* a stronger dormancy in a separate container. There is a great post on r/savagegarden of a terrarium that's lasted for years with just reduced photo periods with vft, helis, capes, and others just fine. I've found a suitable range for the capes in winter. Those are the only tropicals in there, and they do just fine.

By ChefDean
It looks like the Love Bug is confused. It looks to me that it putting out a half pitcher/half phyllodia. It's responding to the natural seasonal cues, but also responding to the artificial light.
Nature is telling it to produce leaves for photosynthesis, but the artificial light is saying no, produce pitchers.
They're green, let them be.
By Apollyon
If the Sarracenia is recently acquired, the change can inspire that wonky growth. I've also had experience with them doing it from less than ideal light (partial sun) and from what I believed to be overwatering (one grew weird after placing it in a water tray). Honestly I have few of them so I top water. Sarracenia can be prone to rot sometimes so be careful with your bog setup there.
By murrkywaters
That plant is new-ish I've had the bog setup for a bit over a year now with no issues on my other plants. It has an air stone that constantly oxygenates it, and I let the tray empty periodically. The light is a Mars hydro ts1000. What really concerns me is the lump forming on it and the section that looks torn or missing. I'm worried about thrips. See picture. Image

By murrkywaters
Should also mention this mini bog is specifically for water loving varieties, I've got a slightly different setup for my vft and other sarracenia.

By murrkywaters
Woke up this morning to find a pitcher top severed clean off. I put it under the scope to see if there were mites. I dont think this is a broad mite, but could it be our culprit? ImageImageImage

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I r[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

SASE mailed thank you

Looking for a Cephalotus

A guy in a plant club I'm in said he had some Nepe[…]

AI Generated Nepenthes

Hey look, it's those oddly neon bonsai seeds for s[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!