FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Max_I
Are these tiny black dots normal? I’m pretty sure they’ve always been there since I first got the plant so worst case scenario maybe a disease? I’m pretty sure this is normal but insight would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 2336 times
By hungry carnivores
Yup! These are trichomes, or little hairs, and they actually prevent the plant from insect pests, desiccation, and other menaces of nature. N. Vetchii, and N. Red Hairy Hamata are two whose trichomes are more pronounced. They're found across genuses, with Heliamphora, Sarracenia, Cephalotus, and most plants, really, having them.

A plant with trichomes is less sensitive to room humidity. I keep a Vetchii in my bathroom.
By Max_I
hungry carnivores wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:39 pm Yup! These are trichomes, or little hairs, and they actually prevent the plant from insect pests, desiccation, and other menaces of nature. N. Vetchii, and N. Red Hairy Hamata are two whose trichomes are more pronounced. They're found across genuses, with Heliamphora, Sarracenia, Cephalotus, and most plants, really, having them.

A plant with trichomes is less sensitive to room humidity. I keep a Vetchii in my bathroom.
Thanks for the info! I always wondered what those were or if they were an early sign of overwatering or something because I’ve seen these on a couple of my plants, but this lowii x burb has really pronounced ones

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!