FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Max_I
Are these tiny black dots normal? I’m pretty sure they’ve always been there since I first got the plant so worst case scenario maybe a disease? I’m pretty sure this is normal but insight would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 2335 times
By hungry carnivores
Yup! These are trichomes, or little hairs, and they actually prevent the plant from insect pests, desiccation, and other menaces of nature. N. Vetchii, and N. Red Hairy Hamata are two whose trichomes are more pronounced. They're found across genuses, with Heliamphora, Sarracenia, Cephalotus, and most plants, really, having them.

A plant with trichomes is less sensitive to room humidity. I keep a Vetchii in my bathroom.
By Max_I
hungry carnivores wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:39 pm Yup! These are trichomes, or little hairs, and they actually prevent the plant from insect pests, desiccation, and other menaces of nature. N. Vetchii, and N. Red Hairy Hamata are two whose trichomes are more pronounced. They're found across genuses, with Heliamphora, Sarracenia, Cephalotus, and most plants, really, having them.

A plant with trichomes is less sensitive to room humidity. I keep a Vetchii in my bathroom.
Thanks for the info! I always wondered what those were or if they were an early sign of overwatering or something because I’ve seen these on a couple of my plants, but this lowii x burb has really pronounced ones

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!