FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sp0nser
The carnivorous plant nursery saids that nepenthes bicalcarata is suitible for beginners and can be grown on a windowsill, is this true?
Attachments:
Screenshot_20200619-094421_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200619-094421_Chrome.jpg (344.86 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
By sanguinearocks101
Sp0nser wrote:
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:08 am I think so, but you could just put a water tray with gravel and that will probably solve it.
So put the plant on top of the gravel and pour water onto the gravel?
Yeah. Here's an example https://www.otoolesgardencenters.com/si ... ebble-Tray
By Huntsmanshorn
Sp0nser wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:48 pm The carnivorous plant nursery saids that nepenthes bicalcarata is suitible for beginners and can be grown on a windowsill, is this true?
It's not really a very good beginner plant but you can grow it in a window. Unfortunately, it usually takes some effort, and it can get really big.
By sanguinearocks101
Huntsmanshorn wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:55 am
Sp0nser wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:48 pm The carnivorous plant nursery saids that nepenthes bicalcarata is suitible for beginners and can be grown on a windowsill, is this true?
It's not really a very good beginner plant but you can grow it in a window. Unfortunately, it usually takes some effort, and it can get really big.
Not sure about this, but I think I heard somewhere that they don’t get as large as other Nepenthes in cultivation due to some unknown reason that probably has something to do with the ants.
By Greenthumbs Garden
Sp0nser wrote:The carnivorous plant nursery said that nepenthes bicalcarata is suitable for beginners and can be grown on a windowsill, is this true?
I would not suggest it as a beginner Nepenthes. Get a Bloody Mary, or otherwise known as Lady Luck which is a ventricosa x ampullaria hybrid. Very nice plant, and very hardy. get some experience with that first. Otherwise, you might just be wasting your money.

A few years back I was also really pining for a bicalcarata and ampullaria also. I took a lot of time to look into it and tried convincing myself it would be fine with the conditions I had to offer. Like you, a bright window, low fluctuating humidity... the plant won't thrive, it will limp along at best.
Ventricosa is another nice candidate for beginners.

I almost forgot I wrote a short blog on some Top Beginner Neps, maybe you can find something there and they all grow very well under a large range of conditions.
Top Favorite Beginner Neps

sanguinearocks101 wrote:Not sure about this, but I think I heard somewhere that they don’t get as large as other Nepenthes in cultivation due to some unknown reason that probably has something to do with the ants.
Yeah they have a very interesting symbiotic relationship with ants, here's a great short read up on it if you're interested.
By optique
If i had to suggest a good starter plant it would be (Nepenthes Sanguinea 'Orange') also sold under the name D4. grows fast and adjust fast. I keep mine in a windows in the winter and outside in the summer.

today 6/20/20
Image Image

a year ago the week i got it

the ants seem to like it. its pitchers are full of them.
5/25/20
By optique
PlanT640847401 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:09 am I bought this exact plant from him and it came really tiny with thrips all over it. From him, youd have to be an expert to get a somewhat presentable plant. I would not recommend buying from cpn.
i feel the same about CPN, i have never lost a plant from them but they were always small and sickly things, that took a year to recover and start growing well.
By Hurtrus
N. x ventrata are pretty common (in the US) and are known to be very resilient. Not as pretty (imo) as Lady Luck or Miranda - but good beginner Nepenthes

I would only use a water trey for peat/perlite. LF[…]

I wonder if you could mix a small amount of the gr[…]

Flytrap Growth

Nice pic!

Red meat viability claims

This is a good example of a “predatory&rdquo[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

You can collect rainwater. I have also used water […]

Dan V and ITS, I followed and bookmarked the links[…]

Drosera seeds in water?

I did not think drosera needed to be water stratif[…]

The "Bisnick" mini bog Okay, I'll […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!