FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By DesertLlama
For bareroot shipping:
1. After removing the plant from the pot, gently shake off the excess soil.

2. Dunk the roots in some CP-safe water to further remove soil.

3. Get a paper towel or two and wet them with clean water. Wring them out so that they are moist but not sopping wet.

4. At this stage you can also choose to soak some LFS as well although it's not necessary.

5. Lay the wet paper towel on a flat and clean surface and place the LFS (if you chose to use it) at one end of the paper towel. I place enough LFS to ensure the roots will be covered by it.

6. Lay the roots of your plant onto the paper towel/LFS and begin gently but firmly rolling the paper towel/LFS like you're wrapping a burrito. You'll see that the paper towel/LFS wraps around the roots of the plant.

7. Once wrapped in the paper towel/LFS, the plant can be placed into a ziploc baggie of appropriate size.

8. When placing your plant into its box, you may not need packing materials if the plant/bag fits snugly. If the box is rather large and there's concern the plant could get tossed around during shipping, get packing peanuts/shredded paper/crumpled newspaper/those bags full of air in Amazon packages to keep the plant secure.

For potted plants, I don't have much experience but hopefully this video can be of some assistance: https://www.instagram.com/p/CA0W8m1nUjs ... 4qy483iba3
Berrybob, uxleumas liked this
By Nepenthes0260
This is my procedure for shipping plants:

PLUGS:
Take the plant out of its pot.
Strip off the soil on the sides to make a circular plug with the plant's roots in it.
Wrap the plug in very moist (almost saturated) paper towels.
Put plug inside of one (or two) ziplock bags.
Tape ziplock bag to the back of the box.

BARE ROOT:
Take plant our of pot.
Rinse off ALL extra soil and wrap plant and roots in very moist (almost saturated) paper towels
Place paper towel covered plant inside of one (or two) ziplock bags.
Tape ziplock bags to the back of the box.

POTTED:
Tape down ALL soil.
Cushion top growth with moist sphagnum moss and/or paper towels.
Put an appropriately sized deli cup on top of the plant, covering up top growth.
Wrap moist paper towel on the bottom of the pot and tape it down.
Put potted plant into one (or two) ziplock bag(s).
Tape bag(s) to the back of the box. Make sure to do this step especially if you're shipping potted plants with bare root/plug plants. The potted one can roll around and squish the others. It's similar to shipping a bowling ball with a bunch of eggs in the same box LOL :lol:.

For all of these, add padding (crumpled up news paper, bubble wrap, packing peanuts) to make the plant(s) nice and snug :D.

I've used this general guide for all my plants I've ever shipped (around 100 boxes, maybe 300 plants) and not a single one has arrived damaged or dead.
Berrybob, Benny liked this
By hungry carnivores
Also, you can use a hot knife to create 'custom size' ziploc bags. It's nice, saves money and plastic from being wasted, and looks more professional. Win win win! :D
Berrybob liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Berrybob wrote:When would you use the plug method?
I use the plug method when shipping utrics or semi-root sensitive plants. I use the potted method only really for cephs and I use bare-root most of the time.
Berrybob liked this
By hungry carnivores
Yeah, Cephs have a high mortality rate from repotting. I ship them bareroot with a bit of sphag and soak with Sthrive upon departure.
By Coco
I’m not sure about high mortality rate for cephalotus. For Dewey pines, yes and maybe roridula gorgonias. From my experience and from many growers, cephalotus don’t like root disturbance where it’ll be set back. But after a few months of it settling in it’s new pot/media, growth is resumed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Panman
So, I have S. flava that I want to ship. Pitchers are easily 20 inches tall. Do I bare root in a large box? I would really like to do a give away or trades with some of these guys but I am at a loss for how to ship them.
IMG_07062020_161517_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
IMG_07062020_161517_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg (571.97 KiB) Viewed 6881 times
By Coco
They’re usually shipped in tube boxes if you want to have the pitchers intact. Some people have ordered specific large quantity tube boxes especially if they’re a vendor. For the casuals, your best bet would be to cut off the pitchers.

By ChefDean
Panman wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:22 pm So, I have S. flava that I want to ship. Pitchers are easily 20 inches tall. Do I bare root in a large box? I would really like to do a give away or trades with some of these guys but I am at a loss for how to ship them.
I just won a Sarr Hummers Hammerhead earlier this year in a giveaway on a different forum. The rhizome chunk was about 1.5 square inches with 4 or 5 growth points and all the pitchers trimmed to about 1/2 inch. It was shipped wrapped in several layers of wet paper towel, sealed in a ziploc, in a small box, packed with bubble wrap to keep it from moving around in transit.
I received it and planted it on 4-14, and this is it today, less than 2 months later with, by my count, 17 pitchers.
20200607_191005.jpg
20200607_191005.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 6870 times
There are many ways to safely ship a Sarr, but it is vital that the plant be as healthy as possible prior to shipping as it is obviously very stressful to the plant.
By hungry carnivores
Coco wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:14 pm I’m not sure about high mortality rate for cephalotus. For Dewey pines, yes and maybe roridula gorgonias. From my experience and from many growers, cephalotus don’t like root disturbance where it’ll be set back. But after a few months of it settling in it’s new pot/media, growth is resumed.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to clarify that this is for Smaller ones. Sometimes I ship seedlings along and stuff.
By Berrybob
I recently got some drosera leaf cuttings from a giveaway but I cant keep all of them. They already started striking. Should a wait for them to grow in a bit, or do you think I could put them up for trade now?
By ChefDean
Berrybob wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:27 am I recently got some drosera leaf cuttings from a giveaway but I cant keep all of them. They already started striking. Should a wait for them to grow in a bit, or do you think I could put them up for trade now?
Probably wait for them to grow up a bit. If they're striking, they're taking nutrients and water from the cutting, but don't have great roots yet. Depending on the species, you'll probably want to wait until they're 1/2 - 1 inch tall before shipping, they're just too delicate and prone to deadly damage.
Berrybob liked this
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!