FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By AzoicRift
I would like my VFT tonight, but unfortunately, the local store seems to be out of reasonable amounts of peat moss. I only have one plant so buying 3 cu ft of it seems a bit... excessive...
What the store did have, however, was long sphagnum moss. Which seems to be the same moss type, but more grown out. I would wait but I want to get the plant in new soil because I was using tap water for a couple days. I was doing research here about it, but there seems to be a variety of results. I am considering grinding up the moss the best I can before adding the perlite. I do live in AZ and with the summer heat fast approaching, I'm hoping that the media doesn't stay super wet for long. The planter I bought is pretty tall so hopefully any water will remain away from the roots.
You you guys think this will be suitable, or should I go and scavenge for peat?
By Benny
You can also flush your current soil to rid it of the minerials.
By mcgrumpers
My VFTs are potted in LFS. I believe it's common to do so. Shouldn't have to grind it.

LFS essentially decomposes into peat.
By AzoicRift
Thanks! I repotted last night. Most of the traps were closed. I even discovered a second plant starting to form. It wasn't quite able to be separated from the other quite yet without damaging the roots, so I'm going to check it again in a month or so.
By AzoicRift
Update, it seems to be liking it's new space. My dog accidentally knocked it over a few days ago, but when re-potted it, I noticed it's roots had grown significantly.
PSX_20200510_122555.jpg
PSX_20200510_122555.jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 6095 times
By AzoicRift
I went and did that this morning. Also removed the little one from it's pot and put it in it's own (the one I got the other one in originally). It was large enough to get separated from the other easily without any damage to the root system. Bulb was nice and healthy too. I want to give it room to expand. Gifted it to my neighbor because he really wanted one and has experience taking care of tarantulas and such so I trust he'll care for it well.
By Greenthumbs Garden
I've started using coco fiber pith for the same reason. Getting peat moss it a massive pain here, then when the garden centers sell "CP soil mix" its super overpriced, and when you have a lot of plants to pot up it would make the hobby too expensive. Coco pith is really easy to get in bars, and once you have washed it out and rinsed it of all its salts it is a great medium. I love it, my plants love it, has great water retention while remaining light and airy.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!