FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By VFT_Grower66
Hi, I got my Venus fly trap a few months ago. As soon as I put in on my south facing windowsill it started growing really well. I live in the north-west if the uk and I was wondering about what month should vfts be dormant and where they should be? I’m thinking the best place would be my conservatory which gets cold in the winter but not to cold. Also what is the temp they should be at. Putting it outside is an option but I want to avoid it because of the wind and frost. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
By Huntsmanshorn
Nov. through Feb. are good dormancy months. Vfts need at least ten weeks dormancy so there you go. Ideal temps are between 3 and 7 C give or take. Note that I said "ideal temps" the plants range of dormancy temp toleration is actually quite a bit broader than this.
Huntsmanshorn liked this
By bananaman
It does not need to be terribly cold for dormancy. They aren’t all that fussy about temperatures, as long as it’s not consistently warm/hot. The photoperiod reduction in the winter helps keep them dormant.

During the coldest month of the year, night time temperatures are 5°C on average and day time temperatures are 15°C. We get down to about -5°C at the coldest and about 25°C at the warmest during the winter. My flytraps go dormant fine, even though we’re usually quite a bit warmer than what’s recommended. Mine start to wake up in late February when temperatures are about 20°C/10°C day/night, but that’s probably more due to the photoperiod increase than anything else.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!