FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
So I requested Drosera capensis "Big Pink" from the seed bank. Assuming there isn't a snag, I wanted to try three set ups, splitting the seeds up.

1) peat moss, no perlite. It'll be in a decent sized pot about 6 inches across, 8 inches deep. It will sit on a seed mat until my kitchen stays at 75 degrees (we're not quite there yet, the mat will keep it there). I'll cover the pot in cling wrap to keep a humid environment. I'll mist every four days, air the pot briefly. They'll be around 4 inches under 1.5 to 2 lights, 5k Kelvin 1650 lumen, with directed light towards the pots.

2) water germination. I'll put a few seeds into a small glass jar in distilled water and set it under the lights. I still have to do more research on this, as to when to transplant etc..

3) I'm going to use multiplication media made for sundews from phyto tech labs. I'll follow that process, and then place them under grow lights (not too close because I don't want to roast them in their baby jars). Can you really put too much agar in the jars? Mine came out thin last time, not too thin, but not thick enough. And do you guys sterilize drosera seeds, it seems a little impossible lol.

I hope these all take. Everyone here is so exceptionally kind in their patience I help. I hope to grow these as well as others sent to me and return the good gestures to the seed bank and in giveaways. Thanks for your advice and ever enduring patience.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Copper2
You can add to much agar. If it’s too thick it can stop the root from growing. 3 grams a liter seems to work- just stir it up before you pour it since the agar sinks. If you have MS or the Drosera pre-transplant media it might be better. I’m not sure if the multiplication media will make it start dividing once it emerges.

I would suggest low sugar in the TC for sprouting seeds. Here’s a fact: you don’t need sugar in TC! They will grow larger without it, but will be slower. Sugar makes them divide. If you’re using ppm in your media I would say carefully pop the seeds in with no sterilization. Maybe do multiple TC containers to limit chance of contamination ruining all the seeds?

BTW, I have heard that the Big Pink capensis seeds don’t grow as vigorously as the parent plant
By Cross
Let me take a picture. I'm still very new to all the terms. That's ppm in the small bottles. Image

By Cross
Copper2 wrote:You can add to much agar. If it’s too thick it can stop the root from growing. 3 grams a liter seems to work- just stir it up before you pour it since the agar sinks. If you have MS or the Drosera pre-transplant media it might be better. I’m not sure if the multiplication media will make it start dividing once it emerges.

I would suggest low sugar in the TC for sprouting seeds. Here’s a fact: you don’t need sugar in TC! They will grow larger without it, but will be slower. Sugar makes them divide. If you’re using ppm in your media I would say carefully pop the seeds in with no sterilization. Maybe do multiple TC containers to limit chance of contamination ruining all the seeds?

BTW, I have heard that the Big Pink capensis seeds don’t grow as vigorously as the parent plant
SSI they'll grow bigger without the tc but slower. How long do you think it would take before seeds sprout?

By Copper2
I received some Drosera capensis seeds from the seed bank on March 22. Planted them a few days later I think. Looks like they might be sprouting right now. It’s hard to tell! So about 2 weeks. I really need a plant log.

Your supplies look good. As a note, the phytotech agar shears (makes cracks instead of gelling around the object) when you push anything into it. It can be a bit weird if you don’t know, but it is normal. Also, do you have some way to measure the multiplication media? I have 1 liter packets and I can send you how many teaspoons are needed for one liter if you don’t have a weighing scale. One last thing, how are you sterilizing?
By Copper2
Please note, tissue culture is pretty easy once you know the basic steps. I felt overwhelmed at first, but now I am used to it. I started in December or January
By Cross
Copper2 wrote:I received some Drosera capensis seeds from the seed bank on March 22. Planted them a few days later I think. Looks like they might be sprouting right now. It’s hard to tell! So about 2 weeks. I really need a plant log.

Your supplies look good. As a note, the phytotech agar shears (makes cracks instead of gelling around the object) when you push anything into it. It can be a bit weird if you don’t know, but it is normal. Also, do you have some way to measure the multiplication media? I have 1 liter packets and I can send you how many teaspoons are needed for one liter if you don’t have a weighing scale. One last thing, how are you sterilizing?
Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I have a gram measurement scale that I use to make soap. Once the agar sets, if you put enough in, you should be able to turn the container briefly without it running right? I have the caps to fit on baby food jars. I'll be sterilizing in pressure cooker. Yours sprouted in two weeks, is that in the muri? I put mine in soil and they still haven't sprouted Image I will get it eventually. Here's my seed set upImage

By Copper2
Yes, once the agar cools completely it will firm up and be solid. Sometimes it has a little liquid on top.

Yes, mine sprouted on muri, AKA MS media
By Cross
Copper2 wrote:Yes, once the agar cools completely it will firm up and be solid. Sometimes it has a little liquid on top.

Yes, mine sprouted on muri, AKA MS media
I guess I have to leave the liquid on top lol. I had some of that in my one jar and it caused a water wall. Is that okay?

By Copper2
I assume that you mean the water made a layer that stopped the seeds from sticking into the media and they floated instead, right? It seems to be fine, but you can pour it off
By Cross
Copper2 wrote:I assume that you mean the water made a layer that stopped the seeds from sticking into the media and they floated instead, right? It seems to be fine, but you can pour it off
No, I meant on the sides of the container and the lid.

N. Albomarginata red SG

He gets direct morning sun until noon/1pmish then […]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!